Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Monitor: No Signal

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2010 4:27:09 AM

I was in XP and wanted to switch monitors, so with the PC still on I unplugged the DVI cables from the Nvidia 8800gtx video card ..bad idea?.. XP made a "device unplugged" ding for both monitors as I unplugged them. After I switched, they didn't display, so I rebooted. I see everything on the primary display - like usual - then after the XP boot screen, the monitor says "no signal" then turns off. I hear the windows startup jingle, and when I push the on/off button on the case, I hear the shut down jingle, and it shuts off. I can also get into safe mode with the display on.

Anyone know how I can get the monitors back on in normal mode??

More about : monitor signal

December 5, 2010 4:35:45 AM

I've been messing around in VGA mode (which boots up too) and as soon as I try to increase the resolution or bit depth and apply the new settings, it kills the signal to the display. And yes, I have tried re-seating the ram.
December 5, 2010 2:08:27 PM

Any advice? This really sucks not being able to use my desktop!
Related resources
December 5, 2010 2:20:53 PM

First of all run it in safe mode... then go to start -> control panel -> nvidia display or monitor display settings... then move the slider bar to definite resolution.

By the way, how many inches is your monitor?

certain monitors have certain resolutions

14-15 inch runs in 1024 x 768
22 inch runs in 1680 x 1050
23-24 inch runs in 1920 x 1080

Another thing is determining if your graphics card has the error or if the monitor has the defect.

Use your monitor in a different PC.
or
Unplug your graphics card and use the inboard vid card.
December 5, 2010 3:27:19 PM

Well, I figured it out! I booted in safe mode with networking, downloaded the 8800 drivers, installed and everything was OK on reboot! ..in all my google searching on this subject, I didn't find one person that recommended doing this! I hope anyone with a similar problem will find this thread.

Best solution

December 6, 2010 8:50:10 AM

rspaulding said:
Well, I figured it out! I booted in safe mode with networking, downloaded the 8800 drivers, installed and everything was OK on reboot! ..in all my google searching on this subject, I didn't find one person that recommended doing this! I hope anyone with a similar problem will find this thread.

Well, I'm glad to here you solve your problem.
December 11, 2010 11:15:31 PM

Best answer selected by rspaulding.
!