Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I wait for a better CPU than Core i7 2600K?

Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2011 7:55:54 AM

Hi. I'm trying, since the beginning of this year, to build a computer with the best components i could afford to. I wanted to make a system with the Intel Core i7 2600K, but then i find about the z68 chipset. So I decided to wait to May to build the computer. And now i read about a better processor than 2600K coming out in Q3' of 2011. Of course no the Sandy-E because those CPUs may cost a thousand dollars. Do you think I should wait?

More about : wait cpu core 2600k

a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 8:22:39 AM

The affordable Sandy Bridge-E quad core CPU will be the i7 2600K's competitor, but its multiplier will not be fully unlocked.So that will limit your OC ability, though the performance will be similar to the 2600K I think.If you want to wait, you can, but unless you plan on getting the six-core Sandy Bridge CPUs, which will cost >500$, I think you should build when Z68 is available.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 10:28:19 AM

The performance of hardware will always increase in time due to the effects of Moore's Law. However that doesn't mean we must not wait.
You must always find the time appropriate and the appropriate processor for you.
Even though if you did buy the best cpu in the world but if you didn't use its full potential it would be a massive waste.
Score
Related resources
May 3, 2011 11:45:02 AM

I don't think there is any new technological change round the corner.
I believe Ivy bridge will launch around 2012 and we are roughly half way thru this year. If you are willing to wait another year you could get it. In any case technology is soo rapidly evolving i might need to even scrap this desktop very soon. Llano from AMD seems like a good alternative for the future. The technology is still emerging but i think within a year it will be better than cpu + discreet card in a desktop.
Score
a c 86 à CPUs
May 3, 2011 11:48:02 AM

well even a core 2 quad can play any game out at good fps, so an i7 2600k should last a while before you need to upgrade. you will be waiting for ever, every time you wait something new will be out.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 11:51:00 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
well even a core 2 quad can play any game out at good fps, so an i7 2600k should last a while before you need to upgrade. you will be waiting for ever, every time you wait something new will be out.

+10!
Score

Best solution

May 3, 2011 11:53:31 AM

Don't bother waiting in this game. There will always be something else around the corner. The i7 2600k is great now and should be for a while. By waiting you are missing out time of enjoying that 2600k and you'll get whatever is next and then you'll read about something else thats in the works. Enjoy life now, so many natural disasters across the world and odd happenings you never know if you'll be around for that next cpu :wahoo: 
May 14, 2011 4:55:23 PM

Best answer selected by jml90.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2011 7:40:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!