Upgrade or Rebuild?

kencka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi guys. I'm thinking of adding more RAM to my system that I built more than 3 years ago. My final goal is to be able to run some future games (namely Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3) in decent settings. Here's my spec:

ASUS M3A/H HDMI AM2+/AM2 780G
Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2X1GB) DDR2 800 Dual Channel
Using on-board graphic ATI HD3200 (Will upgrade either way)

Here's where I need your opinion. Should I just add 2 more GB of DD2 RAM to total 4GB (cost $20 more than DDR3 of same size)
OR
Should I just rebuild the platform to DDR3?

I'm trying to spend as little as possible but if the benefits of rebuilding to DDR3 out-weight the cost, I might just do that. Thanks in advance.

You are looking at a pretty hefty upgrade cost if you replace your CPU+MB+MEM+OS License. Probably best to slap in another 2GB of DDR2 memory and roll with that system for a little while longer. That and an overclock of the x2 5000+ to 3.0GHz, or higher, should hold you over until the new AM3+ (Bulldozer) components are out. Or until Intel figures their stuff out and LGA1155 (Sandy Bridge) is a less risky purchase.

You can buy a GPU today which will benefit you now and in that future system. HD 6850 / 6870 or the HD 6950 would be nice single cards now, and be complimented later with crossfire.

kencka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for a quick reply. I have multiple OS License but you are right. I will need to replace the CPU, MB, and MEM. Not very economical either.

The GPU you mentioned are still pretty expensive. Do you have any recommendation on a less expensive GPU? I'm looking at around $100 or less with the option of Crossfire in the future. Thanks again

kencka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for that recommendation. One more question, Is it ok if I add 2X2GB with the existing 2X1GB for total of 6GB?

You can get 2 2gig (4gig) relatively inexpensive now or you could get 2 more sticks of what you have. I wouldn't mix and match..... not familiar with either of those games and don't know the impact of more ram. The video card is a must.......... however your processor will hold you back somewhat. I'd start with a video card and see what happens. Plan on future upgrade.

kencka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I plan to get it up to at least 4GB. And lately the price of 2X2GB is not too big of difference from 2X1GB, at least on DDR2 anyway. I'm more inclined to go with 2X2GB but will hate to see the existing 2X1GB get sidelined. I will get new dual channel 2X2GB DDR2 800 mix with the old dual channel 2X1GB DDR2 800. Might be different brand but would it be ok if same speed? 6GB is better than 4GB I guess

kencka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

I am using 64 bit windows 7. My board has 4 slots and support up to 8GB of memory. Thanks

walterm

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Onboard graphics are a must upgrade.
Adding memory I would go with 2X2 and than see if 1X1 works. Memory will default to lowest/worst settings of memory installed, whichever is. If it works. Must be same density and number of chips.
Note onboard graphics is probably using about one third of available memory.
Check motherboard website for compatible cpu's and bios update if needed.
CPU pricing Athlon II X3 about $75, Phenom II X2 or Propius X4 about $ 100, a FASTER x4 about $140.