How can i find a PSU that will work on my brand new computer

drakey

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
hey guys i'm looking to buy a PSU for my new HP computer. i just bought it and was wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction on picking one out before it arrives . i bought a HPE510t series, here's the specs.

i-5-2500 quad core 3.3ghz, 6MB cache

8GB DDR3 1333mhz SDRAM 4DIMMS

1TB 7200rpm SATA 3GB/s hard drive

2GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD5570

it comes with a 300w PSU and i was looking to replace it with something in the 650-750w range any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Solution
The HD 5570 is actually a low end card that draws little power. The card itself at full load may draw 50 watts at the most. Your system will only be drawing at the most 250 watts if that. The power supply will not really affect how cool your system stays. Proper airflow in the case will be more of a factor. Seriously I would not buy a power supply unless you upgrade the video card, only then would it warrant the need to upgrade your power supply.
Antec TP 650

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021&Tpk=TP-650

Or the Corsair mentioned above is a good unit too, but I would not ever recommend an Ultra power supply they are way overpriced and underpowered in comparison to other units from different manufactures in the same power rating.

If you don't mind me asking is there a particular reason you need a bigger power supply. Do you plan on getting a better GPU?

maverick knight

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I have a friend with an Ultra PSU for the last year or so and its fine, I on the other hand got a corsair and it failed after a couple weeks. With me is not a brand issue but have more than enough for what you need.

drakey

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
well i plan on playing a video games on multipule characters and i don't wanna burn out my system and a few people i play with recommended i upgrade the PSU because the 300w wouldn't be adequet enough

Well unless you plan on upgrading the video card the 300 watt unit will be fine.

The Ultra units may last a long time, but they are underpowered on their 12 volt rails. Modern systems draw heavy on the 12 volt rail and Ultra's units fall short in this category. Corsair units are quality units, but as with anything man made defects can happen. I suggest staying away from Ultra units that is my opinion and I am sure a good bit of people on this forum will agree with me. Antec has never failed me ever I have been using their units since the mid 90's and actually still have a unit that is over 10 years old and still runs a system that has not been shut down in 5 years.

drakey

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
yeah if i don't need to replace it that would be great but i just wanna make sure by playing 4 maybe even 5 characters at once on this game that i won't overheat the hardware and that by buying a more powerful PSU it would help keep my internals running at a cooler temp. extending the lifetime of my PC, i dont know how powerful this graphics card is but im assuming its a pretty decent one by todays standards and it could easily handle the load of 4-5 characters at once for the older game im playing online and have no reason to replace the GPU anytime soon

The HD 5570 is actually a low end card that draws little power. The card itself at full load may draw 50 watts at the most. Your system will only be drawing at the most 250 watts if that. The power supply will not really affect how cool your system stays. Proper airflow in the case will be more of a factor. Seriously I would not buy a power supply unless you upgrade the video card, only then would it warrant the need to upgrade your power supply.

Solution

drakey

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
yeah like i said the game is like 8 years old so as long as it can play like 4-5 characters online and the graphics look good im happy for now with it and if i ever need a better GPU for another game or whatever ill make sure to swap out the PSU then. thanks so much for your input it was much appreciated. =)