Sign in with
Your question

Wireless windows 7 pc problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 28, 2010 9:12:18 AM

Hello,I use sleep alot on my pc.
But everytime I turn computer back on it takes nearly 5 min to get connected to the internet.
Im using windows 7 with a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. , any idea's why this takes so long , thanks
Joe.
a b F Wireless
September 28, 2010 6:16:01 PM

While I don't have a specific explanation, I can say I have seen this behavior from time to time w/ Windows. I suspect it’s either a driver problem, or maybe a system tray application (esp. if it’s network related), that is waking and attempting to access the network before the wireless adapter has reestablished itself. But in all honesty, that’s just a guess. But I would at least try shutting down running applications, one at a time, BEFORE entering sleep state and see if it improves. You might be able to isolate the offender.

If the problem persists, one way to circumvent the problem is to use a wireless ethernet bridge. Because the bridge always remains active, even when the PC is sleeping, network recovery is INSTANTANEOUS. Just another one of the many reasons I prefer wireless ethernet bridges over wireless adapters (another reason? a wireless ethernet bridge preserves WOL (Wake On LAN) :)  ).

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[pc]

m
l
September 28, 2010 8:12:52 PM

You may want to disable the default option on the wireless network card to turn off wireless connection when pc is in sleep mode
m
l
October 11, 2010 11:09:55 AM

Thanks for all the help you guys :)  .
I will try all the solutions u have given .
cheers
m
l
!