Wireless windows 7 pc problems

Hello,I use sleep alot on my pc.
But everytime I turn computer back on it takes nearly 5 min to get connected to the internet.
Im using windows 7 with a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. , any idea's why this takes so long , thanks
Joe.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless windows problems
  1. While I don't have a specific explanation, I can say I have seen this behavior from time to time w/ Windows. I suspect it’s either a driver problem, or maybe a system tray application (esp. if it’s network related), that is waking and attempting to access the network before the wireless adapter has reestablished itself. But in all honesty, that’s just a guess. But I would at least try shutting down running applications, one at a time, BEFORE entering sleep state and see if it improves. You might be able to isolate the offender.

If the problem persists, one way to circumvent the problem is to use a wireless ethernet bridge. Because the bridge always remains active, even when the PC is sleeping, network recovery is INSTANTANEOUS. Just another one of the many reasons I prefer wireless ethernet bridges over wireless adapters (another reason? a wireless ethernet bridge preserves WOL (Wake On LAN) :) ).

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[pc]
  2. You may want to disable the default option on the wireless network card to turn off wireless connection when pc is in sleep mode
  3. Thanks for all the help you guys :) .
    I will try all the solutions u have given .
    cheers
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Wireless Windows 7 Wireless Networking