Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 2600 overheating issues

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 3:19:23 PM

I have a Core i7-2600 (NOT 2600K) processor on an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. I'm using stock cooler. My idle CPU temperature is somewhere between 40-50 degrees, which is quite acceptable, but even simply launching Crysis, Dragon Age or Mass effect immediately increases the temperature to 70-75 degrees. After an hour or so of gaming, I usually hit 80 degrees and after a few hours, Asus monitoring software notifies me about "high CPU temperature" - 85 degrees. Today I left Dragon Age paused for about 20 minutes, and when I came back, the CPU temperature hit 89 degrees, so I immediately shut the comp down and posted this.

I don't think these temperatures are normal.

Anyone has any idea on what could be wrong? For now I disabled HT and Turbo and put the fan speed on maximum for all the temperatures, but it doesn't help so much. I don't believe it's only because I have the stock cooler...
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 3:20:50 PM

try to check your hsf push pins..They often arent pushed in correctly..
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:23:43 PM

no, everything is installed properly, I checked that. Also, while gaming, the CPU load is about 80%... it doesn't make sense to me - I thought modern games are more graphics card dependant? =)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:27:13 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
no, everything is installed properly, I checked that. Also, while gaming, the CPU load is about 80%... it doesn't make sense to me - I thought modern games are more graphics card dependant? =)

I still think its your hsf..However it could be your case ventilation or your room temps.
However i still think you need to reinstall your hsf to see if it makes a difference.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:30:09 PM

I did, already. Yes, both my case ventilation and room temperature suck, I know that, but they still cannot account for 30 degrees jump from just launching a game! I somehow get the feeling the CPU is doing too much work in gaming... as if the GPU doesn't take enough on it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:31:34 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
I did, already. Yes, both my case ventilation and room temperature suck, I know that, but they still cannot account for 30 degrees jump from just launching a game! I somehow get the feeling the CPU is doing too much work in gaming... as if the GPU doesn't take enough on it.

How bad is it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:35:36 PM

The room temperature is about 28 degrees, I believe... I live in a hot country ;)  And the case... well, it's not the greatest, but it'll do for now until I get a better one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:38:31 PM

Could you give me a brief on your pc cooling and its devices?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:48:43 PM

There's a stock cooler on the i7, a 120mm case side fan, a 120mm PSU fan and the Twin Frozr cooling on the graphics card (2 fans - 80mm, I believe). Not sure what you mean by "devices" - if you mean PCI/PCI-E cards, I've got a few... WLAN and sound card, both PCI.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:51:29 PM

what case do you have?
If you really dont think its your cpu hsf then my guess would be your case cooling is insufficient.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 4:54:18 PM

the case is crap... Zebronics stuff... But that's not my concern: my concern is why the hell does the CPU gets so loaded from just launching a game? From 2% to 80%?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:13:22 PM

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/21/
The cpu usage is of course inconstant.The turbo boost technology introduce by intel is used to increase the speed of the single threaded apps or more lighter threaded apps.Some time with turbo boost the cpu change of usage my occur 100 times a second there by rendering the cpu usage graph almost inaccurate.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:25:15 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
...why the hell does the CPU gets so loaded from just launching a game? From 2% to 80%?

This is actually normal. Some games are more CPU-dependent and some are more GPU-dependent. Even the GPU-dependent ones will still load the CPU pretty heavily, because things like enemy AI and physics and such still require the CPU.

I'm thinking your temp problem is the combination of your ambient temperature and the stock Intel heat sink. The stock Intel cooler has problems controlling temps even when the ambient temps are lower than yours are. To solve the issue you will need to invest in a better cooler.
May 3, 2011 5:29:30 PM

Case ventilation matters alot. If your case "sucks", as you say, that could definitely be your problem there. Also, from your description it sounds as if you only have one 120mm intake fan in the case and no exhaust fans. That could bring case temps up very quickly....
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:35:36 PM

Hmm... I see... Very well, then, off to order some better cooling solutions immediately =)
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 5:48:57 PM

Best answer selected by amk-aka-phantom.
m
l
!