Sign in with
Your question

Headphones work, mic suddenly quit working, no admin rights on various public co

Last response: in Components
May 3, 2011 5:14:59 PM

Hello, I'm currently using various County and City public library computers and none of them are recognizing my plantronics mic anymore. The headphones seem to work fine and they've been stored in a heavy cardboard box between uses. I have NO ADMIN rights and have tried accessing google voice via their browsers and/or my portable apps (Firefox, chrome and IE)
May 5, 2011 1:59:30 AM

well if none of them work with your mic odds are your mic has failed.
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2011 9:46:43 PM

I've heard it may be the drivers, no update, no use allowed.
m
l
May 12, 2011 10:36:22 PM

a mic doesn't use drivers, the drivers will be for the sound chip in the pc, whether it be onboard or dedicated, and if it's not working on multiple devices i can almost guarantee it's the mic.

From my experience with plantronics, it wouldn't surprise me, i had a (fairly) expensive "gaming" headset snap in half while putting it on a month into use from em.

edit: I suppose they also might have a switch on the cord to turn the mic on or off.
m
l
May 16, 2011 7:22:45 PM

Maybe I'm interpreting something wrong? I'm about ready to sell my soul to anyone with a laptop who'll test google voice and google talk on their laptop for me.
m
l
!