Ridiculous CPU temperatures

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hey all,

I have a Core i5 with an MSI G43 motherboard using stock cooling. I idle around 40C, but these are the values i get when playing a game like portal 2:

temp1:91
Temp2: 115C
Temp3: 29
HD0: 28C
Core0: 91C
Core1: 89C
Core2: 87C
Core3: 88C

Why am I getting such crazy variations between idle and non-idle?

Mobo: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59095
Case: Antec 600
Gfx: HFS 2GB Radeon 6950.

Any suggestions would be great. I mean, I could go and get a better heatsink, but i wouldn't think that the temps would be this high with stock. The temperature increases and decreases REALLY fast (about 10 seconds). Thanks!

evilgenius134

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Have you tried other temperature monitoring software?

Sometimes the software reads the value incorrectly, especially on CPU temperatures. I know SpeedFan used to read my Phenom II 940 values being twice as high as they should be.

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Yeah, I already did. It was running hot, so I reapplied some AS5. I know it takes 200h to cure, so my temperatures might drop a few degrees, but that doesn't explain the crazy range that I'm seeing.

skaz

Distinguished

When using Hwmonitor what are idle and load temps saying for TMPIN0, 1, and 2?

skaz

Distinguished
Can't find paths of the TMPIN's for your motherboard. Do you know what ones represent what parts of your mobo?

What I'm trying to find out is if other parts of your system are getting as hot. To see if its not just the CPU. Could lead to the other things like case air flow.

skaz

Distinguished

Even with stock heatsink temps shouldn't go up to the 80s.

I don't think just because you game you need a 3rd party heatsink. I would only recommend a 3rd party heatsink if you overclock or if you just plain want to because you like tinkering with your computer.

it's not crazy to get wide variations between parts of the system and fast swings. There could be problems here, yes, but it's not dangerous (except maybe the 115). Try running a stresstesting program for both cpu and gpu to see what kind of temperatures you get with consistent load.

check that every cooling part in your case (fans) is in working order. can you post a picture of the inside of your case?

what's your ambient temperature?

3rd party heatsinks are pretty cheap; you should have no problem getting something good for ~$30.

skaz

Distinguished

115? 91 is high on a cpu core.

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

I'm not sure which tmp's are where. I don't even know where the sensors are. Is there any way to find that out?

How about your CPU fan- is it plugged into the motherboard for speed control and does it speed up when under load?

Is there any problem with ventilation in your case?

The 6950 is pretty big and blocks airflow from the PSU, but the CPU is near two giant fans so I wouldn't think that's the problem. The CPU fan is plugged into the mobo for speed control, but I'm not sure if it speeds up under load. How do I find that out?

check that every cooling part in your case (fans) is in working order. can you post a picture of the inside of your case?
Entire system is brand new, all the fans area spinning. Here are some pictures I took (low res camera, sorry about that). Mind the mess of cables, it was a ***** to wire properly with an antec 600 case and short psu cables lol.

http://imgur.com/a/66nES#AHeYA

what's your ambient temperature?
Normally the window is open, right next to the case. I'd say about 15C max.

3rd party heatsinks are pretty cheap; you should have no problem getting something good for ~$30.

Indeed I could, and probably will, but I was hoping to figure out what is wrong with the case first. Regardless of whether or not I'm using the stock heatsink, these temperatures are crazy.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, much appreciated :)

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
i5 2500K, I didn't re-flash the mobo bios though, but I assume it is okay.

This is what I show from HWmonitor when idle:
+3.3V: 3.41V
VCORE: 0.97V, max of 1.23V.
VIN2: 1.86V
VIN3: 1.41V
+5V: 5.84V
+12V: 8.10 max 8.18V
Vin6: 2.10V
VSB3V: 3.25V
VBAT: 3.42V

CPU-Z shows core voltage at 0.92V. Not sure what I'm looking for.

Here is a CPU-Z report under load. Is this what you want?
http://www.2shared.com/document/WsO-c0Ca/cpuz_load.html

Here's HWMonitor under load:
http://pastebin.com/TGn75ipP

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Could be a broken temp sensor. I know a while back I had a stock fan on my q9550 that read fine when idling, but read 90-130 when doing something...

I'd try getting a new cooler+fan.

-Plus, if you were really running those temps I'm not sure you'd be here posting about it. :/

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
It's hard to get the cpu under load from the bios. The idle temps look reasonable, which is why I'm concerned. If the temp sensors were broken, I wouldn't see temperature changes at idle properly, would I?

Also, there appears to be a high pitched noise that's constantly running. It's pretty quiet, but I can pick it up. I was thinking that maybe it's the fan, but it could possibly be a short circuit or something? Can't really tell where its coming from.

With an ambient temp of 15 C (59F - Burr, time for longjohns), Yes the stock HSF should do better, My quess around mid 70's with gaming. My I5-750 Ambient temp = 20C) runs max of approx 60C, running Prime95 and a Zalman 9700 HSF.

(1) Just a check - did you verify that all pushpins are properly seated. Need to look at backside of MB. Insure that the white numbs are equally visible. There have been several cases where this has been the cause.
(2) On the HS thermo compound did you follow the recommend method - Used a very small amount.

(3) On case ventilation. Remove side panel and place a small house fan to blow on cpu.

That said:
The Stock HSF is probmatic to say the least and is at the bottom of the heap performance wise. As an Old poster here, SupremeLaw, so elequently put it - Intel should be sued for this design. LOL
Myself, I DO NOT even install, I leave it in the Box to weight the box down - Prevents it from blowing away. This Include my wife's I3-540 system NOT OCed and weak video card.
To keep the CPU happy - GET a third party HSF (approx $30->$40.

Added: PS - Stock HSF, With ambient Temps of 15 C, even your idle temp is High, I would expect mid 30's (40's with ambient temp in low 20s)
Also With the SB CPUs/MBs, Many see a temp that is higher than after windows has loaded and is at idle. Several have complained that, in Bios, they are seeing 50->60C with the stock HSF.

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Yep, everything's seated properly, and the heatsink doesn't shift at all.

I put a thin vertical line down the cpu like AS5 instructs for i5's. When I buy another heatsink i'll try spreading it out maybe, I'm going to check what the spread looks like when I take this one off.

I'd prefer not to have to use an external fan to cool my brand new computer though :)

Lucky75

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Ah haha, unfortunately I don't have a house fan around :) I shouldn't have an airflow problem with the two giant fans around the CPU though. If anything, I'd have an airflow problem around the GPU. Those results I took were with the side of the case and room window open though, so I'm not sure how much it has to do with proper ventilation.

TRENDING THREADS