Sign in with
Your question

SOUND CARD COMPARISON

Last response: in Components
May 3, 2011 9:03:23 PM

Hello guys, im planing to buy a sound card and i cant make up my mind.Should i get a Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Sound Card or a
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card PCI. Which one is better. If anyone has this sound card, can you write down your experiences with it,also about itscons like bad drivers etc.

Thanks in advance =D

More about : sound card comparison

May 3, 2011 11:43:45 PM

My experience is this:
Creative Drivers are fairly poor, and frequently caused headaches for me.
Asus drivers are much better, but not bulletproof. Infrequently have problems with a Xonar DX card.

If you want dolby digital live (5.1 audio) from the optical out, you are SOL. You need the DX for that. This will work if you want 2 channel or analog only 5.1.
m
l
May 4, 2011 2:10:55 AM

Well i definitely wouldn't buy an X-FI Xtreme it's not very well supported since the latest drivers are from 2009.
Plus any of my personal experiences with Creative drivers usually ended up in frustration.
Switched to Auzentech cards 2 yrs ago.=no frustration
I usually recommend the ASUS DG for those who want a better audio experience then onboard on the cheap.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2011 2:16:29 AM

I have a Asus DG and love it
but I am using analog surround out.

Very easy driver install on Win7 and
great audio software comes with it.

As long as you are aware of its limitations
than it is a great card

I got it for analog and also headphone use (has headphone out with front panel connector)

also wanted more inputs

It is a great "Bang for Buck" card but
there much better cards in higher price ranges
if you need them

A asus xonar DX is a good all around card at a reasonable price from what I
understand from reviews

Stay away from Creative
I had alot of issues with two Audigy cards
m
l
May 4, 2011 2:18:09 AM

to answer your question simply

I went with the DG after having Creative cards
I recommend the DG over the Creative
If those are your only two choices than the DG
is the winner
m
l
May 4, 2011 11:58:51 AM

The ExtremeAudio isn't even an X-fi, its a re-branded Audigy, and has more driver problems then other Creative cards. I wouldn't use one if I got it for free.

That being said, the DG is more meant for headphone use then for analog surround; I'd recommend the ASUS Xonar DS, or the more well rounded D1/DX and HT Omega Striker for non-headphone use.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:37:41 AM

I don't know, I've heard a lot of complaints about Creative's drivers but the latest drivers in XP, Vista, or 7 seemed to work just fine for me, with a lot of added functionality. The Asus Xonars have certainly grown and they were good to begin with but, whoa. Really? Really? 13 cards to choose from? I had a Xonar D2X that I auditioned a couple of years ago, it was nice, clean, but the drivers were a bit lacking...at least back then. ...knowing Asus, I'd imagine that's changed.

How will you be using the card...specifically? Headphone listening? Feeding components? Feeding PC speakers?
m
l
May 6, 2011 10:23:39 AM

Im using it for speakers......Logitech Z5500T
m
l
May 6, 2011 11:01:50 AM

Again, I have no real complaints about Creative's X-Fi's...they've worked well for me and I like the additional functionality that the X-Fi's modes/drivers can deliver. I LOVED the X-Fi's .wav recorder...very neat, very functional.

Now, if you just want crystal clean sound on nice(r) hardware, get an Asus Xonar. But which Xonar? It looks like they've got one for every day of the week and flavor of the month? One for the headphone listeners...one for the FPS gamers...one for the Audiophile...and 10 others.

...if it were me, I'd be stuck between getting an X-Fi Titanium PCI Express and an Asus Xonar D2X. ...and I'd probably end up with the X-Fi due to the aforementioned functionality.

...just my 2 cents
m
l
May 7, 2011 1:15:13 AM

I have an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe, Ive tried many creative cards before, not the xtreme audio though.

Xonar imo is a lot better, way better control panel, more stable. better quality sound, directional sound is a lot better.

Creative i could never hear exactly where people were in games just sort of a general direciton but the xonar has no trouble at all.
m
l
May 7, 2011 1:23:14 AM

^+! very true about Asus cards
m
l
May 8, 2011 11:25:28 AM

So like asus is more like a head phone type yeah? But its still better than onboard
m
l
May 8, 2011 11:37:36 AM

imtai said:
So like asus is more like a head phone type yeah? But its still better than onboard

Well, they certainly have a model geared towards headphone listeners, with a dedicated headphone amp, the Xonar Essence ST ...but that's just one model. They offer several very specialized models, like the HDAV 1.3 which is specially tweaked for Blu-Ray. I still think the Xonar D2X is their all-around card that I like, but if you're into first-person-shooters, they have a card for you in the Xonar Xense.

I guess since they couldn't make just one card for everyone they figured they'd make one for everyone.
m
l
May 15, 2011 3:40:24 PM

I never had issues w/ my XFI card. I use it for XP and Vista Ultimate-64. Its very good for games and Audio.

The ASUS Xonar cards are technically better than creative cards. My audio equipment can differentiate the performance of the 2 brands.

m
l
June 10, 2011 7:26:50 AM

Dear Friend,

I am using 32 bit win xp sp 3 with onboard sound with real tec 889 A codec. my sound is good with latest real tek driver. but I want to improve further as i play lot of games. please suggest which sound card will be better for win XP sp 3 . my speaker have 5.1 channel surround sound. my budget is 50 bucks.

Digvijay
m
l
June 10, 2011 3:26:29 PM

BTW You should not use other people threads
you should start your own :) 
m
l
!