rich0523

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP need to replace my system that just died on me

Budget Range: Hoping to keep it below 500 after any rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mild gaming(MMO's,occasional FPS), Browsing

Parts Not Required: Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard/Hard drive/Video Card(For now)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Prefer newegg.com or Amazon but if substantial discount available elsewhere it's fine.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: Doesn't really matter much. Have never built an AMD rig before though but am open to it.

Overclocking: Most likely

SLI or Crossfire: Not now (Thinking I should include it in my mobo for possible future upgrade but am undecided)

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: None

Case - Antec Three Hundred - $45 After MIR

RAM - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 $90

PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular - $69.99 After MIR

CPU - Intel Core i3-550 - $130

Mobo - Having a hard time picking one here. Between these.
GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 ATX Intel Motherboard - $100 After MIR
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 ATX Intel Motherboard - $120
ASUS P7P55D-E LX ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU - Have an 8800 GTS 640MB from my PC that just died on me. I plan on using it for now until I can save up enough later to upgrade it.

HDD - Have a couple of Sata drives I will be using til I save up to grab an SSD.

I wish the Sandy Bridge fiasco never happened because I know that for not much more I could probably get a much better performing system but I really can't go 2+ months without a PC. I am open to reccomendations on all parts especially the mobo's. And if an AMD system might better suit me I am open to that as well. I was thinking I should get a mobo with USB 3.0/ Sata 6Gb/sec/SLI/Crossfire support but am not sure if it is really worth it. Also what would be a good air cooler to go along with this setup. I would like to keep the cost as low as possible but if there's a big improvement I am open to spending a little more. Thanks in advance.

Items off Egg $323AR
Untitled-1107.jpg

965BE + Biostar A780L3G $160
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

$483AR in total

edit : seeing u have hdd maybe $30 top up for 965BE + MSI 870A-G54 for USB/SATA 3.0

rich0523

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
The MSI mobo is OOS. Id prefer a mobo with USB3.0 I think so I was looking at that Asus M4A87TD/USB3 itd be about 40 bucks more. Also 4GB of Ram will be ok also? I was thinking I should be getting 8 originally. I wasn't sure about Patriot brand of Ram either. I guess it is a known brand then just I haven't built a system in years and back then it wasn't. I've been burnt by offbrand Ram in the past so I just wanted to make sure. And the case/PSU that you picked out was about 15 bucks cheaper. Was there something wrong with the PSU or case that I had originally chosen. I know its 15 bucks but was just wondering. And I was going to wait on getting a video card but if I can fit this all in now I might as well go for it. I just want to make sure I wouldn't be better getting more Ram and a better CPU now and getting the GPU later.

rich0523

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well I was originally going to get that Rosewill but when I read so many reviews about people getting it DOA or having it die in hours/days I started to look elsewhere.

And Patriot Ram should be reliable? And what do you think of that Asus mobo. And could you suggest a good CPU cooler for this setup? Thanks a lot for your help.

Edit: One last question. Im sure theres a reason you picked 1333 Ram and Im sure youll tell me its not worth it but should I get 1600 ram or no. Its not that big of a price difference at all like 10+ bucks depending.

rich0523

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Is this Ram acceptable in this system?

Extreme Performance Sector 5 G Series 4GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666)

And this PSU?

Corsair Memory
Builder Series CMPSU-600CX 600 Watt ATX Power Supply

Basically I was thinking of trying to build the whole system from MicroCenter since they do not have the AMD Cpu in stock online. I could go to the nearest MicroCenter near me but I didnt want to go all the way there just to get the CPU/Mobo and save like 50 bucks vs. ordering it from Newegg. So I figured if I can pick up all the parts at Micro Center I could be up and running tomorrow. I also added the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler at both stores so that is part of my total.

The total from Micro Center ends up being 616 after tax and before rebates. After rebates its 566.

If I order basically what you said from Newegg except the Antec Case and add the Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/U and Amd Cpu it comes to 640 after tax/shipping and 595 after rebates. Any suggestions to bring the cost down would be appreciated.

The builder series is not 80+ certified and The Rosewill Green 630 is actually on the list or recommended PSUs though yes some Rosewills are junk lol

The PSU Ranked List and Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278567-28-ranked-list-guide
43-54 amps - Often "650W" PSUs
This range is a good choice for the gamer with two moderate video cards or one very high power card.
http://rankedpsulist.dabbledb.com/publish/rankedpsulist/9e1a7c0e-d5bf-43f9-bef5-1e519fca2605/43-54amps.html

That Asus 880G/ATX is 16/4 and is not recommended for CF anyways so if CF is not in the worKs have a look at Asrock 770?

rich0523

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I only picked that board because in the past I've always gone with Asus boards and have never had a problem. Im more concerned with getting a board that would let me OC without many problems. I dont think I have any interest in a CF/SLI setup for a while. I was also suggested to get this CPU instead as it likes to be OC'd and supposedly it is not much of a performance drop.
AMD Athlon II X4 640

Does that sound right?