Dual molex to pci e connector

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hey guys

I'm trying to get another 460 before it becomes ancient to SLI it with my current config, which is an antec earthwatts 650 green (link below).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-371-044&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

This PSU only has 2 x (6 + 2) pin, which is currently occupied by my 460.

so if I were to sli it, it would have to be with a dual molex to pci connector, because I need 1 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin.

Is it safe to just plug in dual molex to 6 pin and 8 pin if I were to get the added 460?

or do i need to get a better psu? I'm pretty sure 650w is sufficient enough for a sli 460.

thanks in advance.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

I heard from somewhere that using molex to pci is not as good as regular pins that are pre-attached to the psu, is that true?

And can anyone else confirm if this is safe or not?

If a quality psu is capable of driving 4 6 pin pci-e connectors, it will usually have them.

Antec makes very good psu's so you may be OK there. There are other 650w psu's out there with 4 connectors, so You may very well be OK.

I suggest you try it and see how it goes. You can still upgrade the psu if necessary.

But, I would be inclined to sell the GTX460 and use the proceeds towards a stronger single card for an upgrade.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

I would like to sell my 460, but I have no idea how to even begin that process, I've always thought ebay was a pain in the ass.. any other options?

I suppose you could try craig's list. If you have a friend that needs your card that is good too.

Ebay does need some setting up, particularly for paypal.
But paypal is a good way to insure that you don't get ripped off by a buyer that doesn't pay.
To find what you might get for your card,
Go to e-bay and look for your card or similar. Then go to completed auctions. You will see the actual prices paid in green.

I use craigslist alot
but there are basic rules

1) always try to go with someone or let somebody know where you
are and what time to expect you back

2) try if at all possible to see part working
when I just bought 4 x 1gb Gskill DDR2-800 ($50 USD)
i brought my tower to sellers house and he let me install and try
it before sale

3) do not reply to ads that have generic geographinc locations instead of specific
towns (NY area for example) they are always email harvesters

as far as selling
be prepared for alot of crap
people who never show
people who want you to ship and pay with cashier check NO!
after sale people who dont understand what As-Is means
strangers coming into your home with the hazards that come with that

I didnt mean to go into Craigslist 101 but at least I can copy and paste
for future posts :)