Is Ebay reliable?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 31, 2005 1:00:25 PM

Greetings,

Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?

I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
like birthday parties and vacations.

After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
sellers, etc) is it worth it?

AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

More about : ebay reliable

January 31, 2005 1:41:13 PM

Buying on eBay is little different from buying anywhere else. There is
always some risk, but with the fraud protection that eBay and PayPal
offer, if you take the time to do your research you should be fine.

Read:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/index.html

As for bidding, decide how much the particular items is worth to you
and bid that. If you win, you get it for some percentage of what you're
willing to pay (good thing) and if you loose you din't pay to much
(another good thing).

Dave
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:05:50 PM

Know the specific camera before bidding on it. A decent 6 mp camera would
not be fixed focus and should have optical and not digital zoom -- also
check out the new price. Other than that, just bear in mind there is always
a chance of problems with buying used equipment.

Paul Riemerman

<majiin99@cs.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
> I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
> like birthday parties and vacations.
>
> After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
> sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
> AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
> difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

January 31, 2005 3:06:55 PM

> >After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> >sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback
first
> >sellers, etc) is it worth it?
> >
> >AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture
quality
> >difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?
>
> I bought my digital camera on eBay and then sold all my film
equipment
> there too. I also have sold off my son's used motorcycle parts and
> buy china and silverware for my wife. Never with a problem. I have
> probably bought and sold dozens (a hundred) of items on ebay. be
sure
> to check the seller's "feedback" comments and read what they actually
> say, not just the percentage; that will give you evidence of the
> seller's willingness to solve problems.
>
> If I ever had a glitch in the transaction I have found buyers and
> sellers to be reasonable and cooperative and the issues have always
> been resolved. Be sure to send e-mail and communicate - that always
> helps - ask them a simple question before bidding and bid only in
they
> respond.
>
> I buy all my accessories (new and used ) there. I have even found
> that brick and mortar stores have better prices on eBay.
>
> Just be sure you know exactly what you want and that is what you are
> bidding on.
>
> Read ALL the seller's rules and fine print.

My experience is similar and I have sold and bought lots of camera
equipment on ebay. I bought a canon 10D new in October for $950 and I
sold all of my film equipmnt but one Canon 1N. Use people with lots of
feedback and 99% positive. Most sellers and buyers are honest.
Art Salmons
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:07:57 PM

> >After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> >sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback
first
> >sellers, etc) is it worth it?
> >
> >AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture
quality
> >difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?
>
> I bought my digital camera on eBay and then sold all my film
equipment
> there too. I also have sold off my son's used motorcycle parts and
> buy china and silverware for my wife. Never with a problem. I have
> probably bought and sold dozens (a hundred) of items on ebay. be
sure
> to check the seller's "feedback" comments and read what they actually
> say, not just the percentage; that will give you evidence of the
> seller's willingness to solve problems.
>
> If I ever had a glitch in the transaction I have found buyers and
> sellers to be reasonable and cooperative and the issues have always
> been resolved. Be sure to send e-mail and communicate - that always
> helps - ask them a simple question before bidding and bid only in
they
> respond.
>
> I buy all my accessories (new and used ) there. I have even found
> that brick and mortar stores have better prices on eBay.
>
> Just be sure you know exactly what you want and that is what you are
> bidding on.
>
> Read ALL the seller's rules and fine print.

My experience is similar and I have sold and bought lots of camera
equipment on ebay. I bought a canon 10D new in October for $950 and I
sold all of my film equipmnt but one Canon 1N. Use people with lots of
feedback and 99% positive. Most sellers and buyers are honest.
Art Salmons
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:47:47 PM

I can't speak from a buyer's standpoint but I've sold several cameras and
accessories on e-bay and the buyers have been very satisfied.

"Fyimo" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

>> >After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
>> >sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback
> first
>> >sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>> >
>> >AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture
> quality
>> >difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?
>>
>> I bought my digital camera on eBay and then sold all my film
> equipment
>> there too. I also have sold off my son's used motorcycle parts and
>> buy china and silverware for my wife. Never with a problem. I have
>> probably bought and sold dozens (a hundred) of items on ebay. be
> sure
>> to check the seller's "feedback" comments and read what they actually
>> say, not just the percentage; that will give you evidence of the
>> seller's willingness to solve problems.
>>
>> If I ever had a glitch in the transaction I have found buyers and
>> sellers to be reasonable and cooperative and the issues have always
>> been resolved. Be sure to send e-mail and communicate - that always
>> helps - ask them a simple question before bidding and bid only in
> they
>> respond.
>>
>> I buy all my accessories (new and used ) there. I have even found
>> that brick and mortar stores have better prices on eBay.
>>
>> Just be sure you know exactly what you want and that is what you are
>> bidding on.
>>
>> Read ALL the seller's rules and fine print.
>
> My experience is similar and I have sold and bought lots of camera
> equipment on ebay. I bought a canon 10D new in October for $950 and I
> sold all of my film equipmnt but one Canon 1N. Use people with lots of
> feedback and 99% positive. Most sellers and buyers are honest.
> Art Salmons

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:29:35 PM

In article <1107194425.323457.162200@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<majiin99@cs.com> wrote:

> After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
> sellers, etc) is it worth it?

I've got 500+ ebay transactions under my belt. In all that time, I've
only had ONE transaction where I flat out got gypped.

However, with photo gear my experience has been that perhaps a third of
the items I purchased had some "issues", and had to be either returned
or adjusted in some fashion. An awful lot of the time, sellers just
don't know what they have, and so can't evaluate or describe it
accurately.

Granted, most of these were older film items; you'll probably have
better luck with digital gear.

Just like picking a stranger in a crowd to deal with, on eBay:

- Everything will PROBABLY be OK.
- If it's not, it will PROBABLY get fixed.
- Eventually, someone WILL rip you off. Don't buy anything that costs
more than you can afford to lose.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:42:01 PM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
> I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
> like birthday parties and vacations.
>
> After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
> sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
> AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
> difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

I bought a casio qv3000 for £45 on eBay, it's really great, I got a
really good bargain.

As for the difference between 4 and 6 meg, the answer is not very much,
go to DPReview and fine the pixel size for both types and divide this by
72 to find the picture size as it comes out of the camera.

Jem
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:55:29 PM

"Jem Raid" <jemraid@btinternetpleasesremovethis.com> wrote in message
> majiin99@cs.com wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?

I bought a brand new, sealed in box, UK canon 300D and lens kit for £499.
Registered it with Canon same day.

I've had 187 transactions on eBay and only one dud item. That was a Sigma
430 EF which was advertised as a "Super" when it was actually an ST. I got
an immediate refund with no hassle at all.

Buy carefully and you can find some great bargains - but beware of goods
advertised from the UK but delivered from USA or Hong Kong - you could end
up being stung for duty and tax.
January 31, 2005 11:25:28 PM

I've had very mixed results with camera and computer related stuff. In
one case a charger was so poorly wrapped the whole packaged opened and
spilled its guts in a FedEx truck -- and FedEx delivered the whole mess
to me anyhow. Though the seller agreed to replace the item it took a
couple of weeks for this to happen. In another case I was sold an
absolutely defective and dead battery. Again, almost two weeks for a
replacement. My main problem with eBay is that when things go wrong with
the system itself there is virtually no way to get any real help.
Sometimes e-mails get a useless and stock response. I did successfully
reach Pay Pal's customer service line and after a bit of a wait got a
helpful person who helped me through concerns about fraud. My bottom
line is that if I can find the item I am looking for elsewhere at a
reasonable price I purchase there.

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
> I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
> like birthday parties and vacations.
>
> After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
> sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
> AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
> difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:05:20 AM

On 31 Jan 2005 10:00:25 -0800, majiin99@cs.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
>I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
>like birthday parties and vacations.
>
>After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
>sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
>sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
>AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
>difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

I bought my digital camera on eBay and then sold all my film equipment
there too. I also have sold off my son's used motorcycle parts and
buy china and silverware for my wife. Never with a problem. I have
probably bought and sold dozens (a hundred) of items on ebay. be sure
to check the seller's "feedback" comments and read what they actually
say, not just the percentage; that will give you evidence of the
seller's willingness to solve problems.

If I ever had a glitch in the transaction I have found buyers and
sellers to be reasonable and cooperative and the issues have always
been resolved. Be sure to send e-mail and communicate - that always
helps - ask them a simple question before bidding and bid only in they
respond.

I buy all my accessories (new and used ) there. I have even found
that brick and mortar stores have better prices on eBay.

Just be sure you know exactly what you want and that is what you are
bidding on.

Read ALL the seller's rules and fine print.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
February 1, 2005 1:05:21 AM

WATCH FOR RE-FURBISHED........make sure warranty is in effect.
I have had MUCH BETTER SUCCESS with STAPLES matching other B&M store prices
for cameras and hardware.
In Oregon, no shipping and sales tax, either.

February 1, 2005 1:05:22 AM

I have had great results from E-bay, but I had always tried to buy from an
indvical, the one selling their one camera, or a few one items with a real
picture, I did buy my Nikon 5700 from a person ,and it was very new looking
when I got it, and even the soft ware was never opened, he claimed he just
wanted to up grade, He had sold just a few items and sounded right, plus
the feedback was very good.
But be careful. I have heard that 70% of the Big Camera stores on E-bay
were crooks.

d"howard" <fishfeeder@gmail(dot)com> wrote in message
> WATCH FOR RE-FURBISHED........make sure warranty is in effect.
> I have had MUCH BETTER SUCCESS with STAPLES matching other B&M store
prices
> for cameras and hardware.
> In Oregon, no shipping and sales tax, either.

February 1, 2005 3:01:46 AM

>Greetings,
>
>Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
>I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday
photography,
>like birthday parties and vacations.
>
>After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
>sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback
first
>sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
>AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
>difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

Suggest you make sure the guy you're buying from is paypal protected
(or similar). That way you have some comeback if things go wrong. This
helped me the one time I needed it. Also, your credit card may offer
you some protection. Make use of the auction time to contact the seller
and ask a question. The type of reply and time to reply might help you
suss things out a little. Again, if it is an ebay shop, there might be
a phone number to call.

I live in the UK and ended up buying a Minolta A1 from the US and
shipping over. This was cheaper by far than getting it here! Otherwise,
check out the advice posted on ebay itself re scams and protection.

peter

--
peterwatts
February 1, 2005 3:52:26 AM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?

Probably a hundred or so? ;-)

Carefully study feedback, look at the types of things they have been selling
etc and you'll likely get a good deal.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> What is the picture quality
> difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

What kind of answer do you expect? Take a look at the sample pictures of
the cameras that you consider and then decide. IMHO 4MP->6MP difference
is insignificant and I would not pay for that. (But I may want to pay
for some other features that come along.)

AndresV
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:44:22 PM

On 31 Jan 2005 10:00:25 -0800, majiin99@cs.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?

eBay is just a forum. You don't buy your camera "from eBay", you buy
it from a seller who advertised the item in an eBay auction or store.

The first thing to know about eBay is that feedback isn't a grading
system. At school, a 95% score would get you an A, on eBay a 95%
rating is really an F, it means that one out of every 20 transactions
went SO bad that the other party left negative feedback, often risking
an undeserved retaliatory negative in return (which means that many
more deserved negs were never left). So, to start with, you should
never buy from anyone with a rating lower than 99% unless you
*understand* why the rating is that low and what your risks are in
doing business with that individual or company.

The second thing to know is that you have very few buyer protections
with most eBay transactions, and those protections are even slimmer if
you aren't smart about how you pay. Until you learn more about the
various payment methods and risks, pay with a *credit card* funded
payment and pay strict attention to the deadlines that must be met if
you haven't received your item and have to file a claim with the
payment processing system (i.e. PayPal) or your bank.

The third thing to know is that there are always a lot of scam
auctions on eBay. If it looks too good to be true, it IS. Watch out
for short auctions (i.e. 3-day auctions) where the seller used to
always sell some other type of item (or perhaps was always a buyer)
and is now suddenly offering expensive items at an overly low price.
It's almost certainly a scam by someone who has stolen someone else's
eBay password and taken over their account.

NEVER agree to an off-eBay transaction, as these too are almost always
scams.

And be very suspicious if you are sent an email to "dear customer"
telling you that you have to login to update or verify your account.
If eBay or PP need to email you, they will use your NAME in the BODY
of the email. Don't use the links in the email, type www.ebay.com or
www.paypal.com in your browser and login that way, to be sure you are
really at the right site and not at a scam site. See:

<http://www.retrosynth.com/misc/phishing.html&gt;

Now that I've probably scared you silly, don't worry. Most eBay
transactions are easy and smooth, as long as you are smart and aware
of how things *might* go wrong so you can take appropriate cautions.

I bought my first digicam (used Olympus E-100RS) and my best lens
(Canon 70-200 f 2.8 IS) from eBay sellers, and got an excellent deal
(but not "too good to be true" :-) both times.

jc
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:43:13 PM

majiin99@cs.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
> I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
> like birthday parties and vacations.
>
> After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
> sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
> sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
> AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
> difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

What security does e-Bay offer that prevents the auctioning of stolen
property?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:45:43 AM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:43:13 -0800, nick c <n-chen@comcast.net> wrote:

>What security does e-Bay offer that prevents the auctioning of stolen
>property?

None. eBay is just a venue. Treat it like a virtual swap meet and
research the seller and ask questions before bidding.

jc
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:07:36 AM

On 31 Jan 2005 10:00:25 -0800, majiin99@cs.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>Have any of you purchased camera's from Ebay?
>
>I'm looking for a 4-6 MP digital camera. Just for everyday photography,
>like birthday parties and vacations.
>
>After filtering your search on ebay (i.e. only bidding on US located
>sellers, avoiding sub-99% feedback ratings, buyer-leave-feedback first
>sellers, etc) is it worth it?
>
>AFAIK, $150-200 is a good deal on a 6 MP. What is the picture quality
>difference between a 4 MP and a 6 MP?

It's not whether eBay is reliable... it's whether the seller you buy
from is reliable.

My advice is to ask plenty of questions if matters of interest to you
are not addressed in the description.

Also, I bought a refurb C-5050 from OlympusAmerica auctions. It had
problems when it arrived, marks on the lens, items missing from the
box, other items incorrect. They let you return for replacement, but
my replacement was no better, it had a badly scratched viewfinder and
also problems with items missing from the box (Like the remote!). I
could've returned for exchange again, but decided to opt for a refund
and buy a used C-5050 elsewhere. And I'm thrilled with the used C-5050
I got from KEH.com.

As for OlympusAuctions, you'll get your merch, but it could take a
while to get merch you are happy with. That said, I purchased a camera
accessory from them after the refurb debacle and was quite pleased
with that purchase. I'm still waiting for the credit for the refurb to
hit my credit card though. :^(

So, read feedback, ask questions, be sure you are dealing with someone
reputable. Also, try to use credit card... that gives you the leverage
of a chargeback if things go wrong. And be sure to Google prices
too... as eBay sometimes goes higher than you can get the same goods
elsewhere.

Cynthia
!