Sign in with
Your question

Comments on home built ent/gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
February 4, 2011 7:29:31 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to Tom's Hardware,

A lot of searches turned me to this site. I used to build my own computers 10 years ago, but only recently decide to try it again. I live in South Korea and can't find a PC with English OS and configuration that I want so I'm gonna give it another go. Below is what I've decided to put together and would like any advice or even flames for my suggestion ( getting flamed is ok if it saves me from making a stupid mistake^^). I'm following a form from this site

Approximate Purchase Date: September 2011 (getting bonus from work them).

Budget Range: I wanna keep it under 800,000 won with software (about $800USD), not including cost of LCD HD TV I'm planning to couple it with.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Movies, TV, work (MS office) and games.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.enuri.com (Korean site, but more convinient because it's local). I also leave handy to a huge electronics market that specializes in computer components (3 story warehouse/building.

Country of Origin: I'm living in Korea, but I'm Canadian. I've been living/working here for 6 years

Parts
1. Case: Thermal Lake Armor A30 (gaming cube case). I like the looks, good size and has frint USB3 port in front.
2. Processor: Can't decide between AMD Phenom ii X4 or X6. Not an AMD fanboy, but the price is right. Probably be using the cooler it comes with.
3. Mobo: AsRocks X880GMH-LE/USB3. Chose it because I saw in a site with the A30 case, but could use some input in if it's a good choice or not.
4. RAM: 8G of DDR3 (PC3-10600). Two 4G sticks.
5. Graphics Card: Something in the Radeon 5800 range. I'm planning to hook it up to a 36~42inch HD LCD TV and want to watch movies, internet TV and play games (ex.Fallout, Dragon age, Lineage 2, Never Winter nights 2)
6. Card: Want to get a wifi + bluetooth combo card for internet, key board & mouse, but could go with usb ones or a mobo that has them.
7. PSU: Not sure what power supply would be best. I was think 450~500W, but I'm not sure if that's enough.
8. HDD: Samsung F3 1TB. I could go for 2TB there fairly cheap here.
9. OS: Windows 7 Premium. Considering Ultimate just to be able to switch the laguage from Korean to English easily. My wife's Korean, but pretty flunent in English.

Overclocking: Probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe...???

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC

Thanks for any/all comments

Dylan
February 4, 2011 9:48:09 AM

The HD6950 certainly be nice, but I think it's a little out of my budget range..well..prices may come down in September.

*Prays*

Thanks for the info with the PSU, better ones aren't that expensive so I won't skimp there.
m
l
Related resources
February 4, 2011 3:07:23 PM

i would spend my timing doing research and reading about how things work together, what works with what. companies to trust and to stay away from. by the time sepember comes around there will be a ton of new things out and everything on your list will be half the price lol, well ill say 3 quarters of the price. at least its not 1999 where it would be out of date and old in 8 months lol.

for a couple bucks more you could probably get a better mobo. depends what you wanna do. it doesnt have sata3 6gbs. which isnt really used now to much but will be in the future, only 1 usb3.0. also doesnt support crossfire. only 1 16x pcie slot. so you would have to buy a new high end video card to improve it. instead of just putting a new one in.

unless your doing video rendering i wouldnt say get more then 4 gigs of ram. in some cases you will lose performance with to much ram. just a reputable 2x2 4gb dual channel set. 1333mhz or 1600mhz if you plan to over clock your cpu and need some head room. anything over 1600 is usless unless your over clocking.

a 5870 or 6870 would be a good choice of graphics card. the 6870 isnt far behind the 5870. once better drivers come out it could compare to it.. i had a 6870 and it could play any game on max no prob.

m
l
February 4, 2011 3:13:01 PM

Looks reasonable.

The 6 core amd processors are poor for gaming, stick with the X4.
Very few games can use more than 2 cores, certainly not more than 4.

The graphics card is much more important than the cpu for gaming.
Try to budget the 6950 for great gaming at 1080P

If you are not an AMD fan, why not consider the i3-550 which should be a bit less expensive?
Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...

Addendum: I see that your timeframe is September.
All planning you do now is irrelevant.
By then, Sandy bridge issues will be resolved, and Bulldozer may or may not change the market.
SSD proces may plummet.

Keep researching.
m
l
February 4, 2011 3:15:06 PM

By the time september rolls around, Sandy bridge will be back in full swing and (hopefully) Bulldozer will out. No point in picking parts now. A lot will change in the next 7-8 months.
m
l
February 4, 2011 9:07:12 PM

geofelt said:
Looks reasonable.

The 6 core amd processors are poor for gaming, stick with the X4.
Very few games can use more than 2 cores, certainly not more than 4.

The graphics card is much more important than the cpu for gaming.
Try to budget the 6950 for great gaming at 1080P

If you are not an AMD fan, why not consider the i3-550 which should be a bit less expensive?
Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...

Addendum: I see that your timeframe is September.
All planning you do now is irrelevant.
By then, Sandy bridge issues will be resolved, and Bulldozer may or may not change the market.
SSD proces may plummet.

Keep researching.

Thanks for link to the comparison with the i3-550. Saving a little anywhere will allow me to spend more on a better graphics card. And the prices will drop in September.

I'm not sure if Bulldozer will change the market much except re-define high-end. The mid-range prices probably won't be affected that much.

Now if SSD prices plumet, I would definite go SSD.

Yeah, researching is key..thanks again for the link to the great under $150 CPU comparison..it opened my eyes to a few alternatives
m
l
February 6, 2011 3:11:47 AM

Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: January 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-2500k-amd-e350,2843.html

With SB pulled out i wouldn't go Intel for a gaming rig and put the $$ more to a nice juicy GPU where it counts anyways ^^

Best hit X3 for fresh gamers as well

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bo...
Quote:
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

m
l
!