Your question
Closed

Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Standoffs

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • ASrock
Last response: in Motherboards
January 7, 2012 4:46:27 AM

Hello, I am in the process of building a computer right now. I am at the point where I mount the motherboard into the case. I set up my 9 standoffs, as the asrock z68 extreme3 gen 3 is supposed to be ATX. Before dropping the motherboard down into the case, however, I noticed that 7 of the 9 standoffs have the silver lining, but the remaining 2 do not. Am I supposed to use those to mount it? I was under the impression that if the standoffs werent perfect it would short the board.

Here is a picture. Note the standoffs on the bottom here.

Edit: bottom left and bottom right are the two that do not have lining. Bottom left doesn't even line up with the stand off in place. Is it okay to simply forgo them?

More about : asrock z68 extreme standoffs

Best solution

a c 87 V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 11:13:27 AM

No, only the 7 are to be used for standoffs in that particular board as the user manual very clearly states that only those "Screw Holes are to be used for mounting the Mobo onto the Chassis that have been marked using a White Circle around the Hole."
Chapter 2-- Installation, Section 2.1
Although for Holes like the ones that the board does have but does not have the circle around it, we use a flat headed standoffs made of plastic. Since the cables need to be plugged into that side of the board and we wouldn't want excessive force to break anything because of no support at the back. They may also be called spacers elsewhere. This is what one would look like.
January 7, 2012 1:25:08 PM

Thanks for the response. I ended up not using the 2 without the silver lining to be safe. I honestly didn't spend as much time as I maybe should have browsing the manual, but did go through it and also did a google search. Unfortunately my case and/or mobo didn't come with any plastic standoffs, but I managed to plug everything in by supporting the section of the motherboard without standoffs.
Score
January 7, 2012 1:25:17 PM

Best answer selected by mathgod.
Score
!