Upgrading from Dual core to Quad Core. Help

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Dual Core
Last response: in CPUs
May 3, 2011 10:41:46 PM

My mobo is a: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe AMD Socket AM2/AM2+
My CPU : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core. I bought a New: AMD Phenom IIx4 940 Quad Core. Installed it. Powered up my PC and no DVI single to my monitor. Replaced the old AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core and my PC is running.
So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to download something and burn it on a disk or something? I was told after I installed the new CPU to boot up my Pc and press "Delete" to enter system setup. Then press "F5" That my mobo would automatically detect the appropriate settings for my new CPU. Can't do that if I have no picture/single to my monitor.
Any Idea's ?

More about : upgrading dual core quad core

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 3, 2011 10:56:25 PM

Its is likely that your Motherboard requires a BIOS upgrade to play nicely with the newer Quad Core CPU. Upgrade the BIOS using the Dual Core and then try the Quad Core again.
May 4, 2011 12:07:35 AM

Yes, I second what Wamphryi said - visit the ASUS MB site to view which BIOS upgrades are available for your M2N32-SLI Deluxe, and which CPU cores are supported by the BIOS upgrades. Compare that to the BIOS that you have right now. It's no big deal, the whole process should take 30 mins or so.
Score
Related resources
May 5, 2011 12:43:08 AM

Thank you. I woke up this morning thinking the same thing. So I visited the asus web site, updated my bios and the Quad is in and running.
Thank you again.
Score
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2011 12:47:26 AM

Don't forget the best answer to close the thread Dude. ;-)
Score
May 12, 2011 1:04:54 PM

Best answer selected by kegga62.
Score
a c 161 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 12, 2011 5:08:41 PM

This topic has been closed by SAINT19
Score
!