Plasticjesus690

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
So, I had speced out a nice i5 2500k build to go with the 6950 that I just got today :-D. The performance has been pretty lacking because of my current cpu (I think) Current build is
E8400 @3.6ghz
Ep45-ud3p
4gb Corsair pc26400
750 watt ocz gamerxtream psu
500 gb Hd

So my question is this, Should I search for a cheap q6600 to tide me over until sandy bridge is back on the market or dump some money into this rig such as more ram and what not.

It'd be a waste of $$ to buy any CPU for the 775 socket. That socket is outdated, and there aren't really any upgrades that will make a noticeable difference. That E8400 is one of the better gaming CPUs from that socket, especially OC'd that high.

Depending on the versions, you may be able to do an in place upgrade to windows 7.

Plus, when installing windows 7, if doing a custom install, it will move your user data to c:\windows.old. It will be there waiting for you when you're done with the install.

Plasticjesus690

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
In my experience upgrade installs lead to more issues, I would rather do a fresh install. It is just slower than I would like, Certain games such as sc2 and fall out 3 see dramatic fps drops even with my 6950, Also typing this message lol i can type faster than the computer itself can keep up. I thought failing hardrive but tested that with seatools and hdat both come up clean, I have though memory but am not getting any bsods and have also ran mem test. Prehaps I need more RAM. THis install is going on three years old so perhaps it is time for a fresh install. I have also checked for virii and malware. Which came up clean.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
all you need is a fresh install, and it will be as good as new, I doubt that you need more than 4GB of RAM unless you do ALOT of multitasking, e.g. Games, photoshop, video editing etc. at the same time, if this is how you use your computer check how much RAM you are using at idle and while doing usual work.