New build, needed to reseat CPU cooler/heatsink. ok?

fallout1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
SO I just am putting together my first build..I seated the stock Core i5 2500k CPU cooler and heatsink, then pressed the pins down firm. Little did I realize that the CPU fan power cord didn't reach. So I unseated, turned 90 degrees, reseated. Is this a problem for the thermal paste? I'm afraid I may have messed up my stock paste here by picking up and rotating. I figured I should ask first.

Thanks

Solution
Dont worry about it, its all good practice, also when you apply the thermal paste try applying it directly onto the cpu, thats what i do and it seems to work better for me, you cant go wrong with AS5, but dont forget most pastes have a curing time before they perform at there best. Good Luck, Practice makes perfect.
I think it will be ok since it hasn't been fired up yet.
When you have everything up and running download RealTemp or CoreTemp to verify temps.
If they are in the high 20's-30C's at idle you're fine.
Of course that will depend on ambient room temp.
If you live in a hot climate with no A/C i would expect idle in the high 30's-40 something.

Uther39

Distinguished
Do your self a favour while you build now, put an after market cooler on, they are better, quieter and dont have to cost a fortune.
1095594-a.jpg

£17.26
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-plus-4-heat-pipes-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am2-am2plus-am3

fallout1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I took your advice and went out and picked up a Hyper 212+. Probably overkill, but now I can OC with confidence if I decide to:) Anyway, having never done thermal paste stuff before, I've messed it up already. I put a small blob on the heatsink and spread it around with a credit card, which looked really nice but I don't think it's working correctly. My initial BIOS cpu temp was reported as ~43C. MUCH too high for sandy bridge based on my browsing of the forums. That being said, I've purchased an ArcticSilver pack with the cleaning solution and AS5. I found a nice tutorial that I'm going to attempt to go off of for spreading on the HS. I'm getting really frustrated with my inability to get this working right, as I expect much cooler temps for stock everything.. Plus, I doubt its great for me to keep screwing/unscrewing and removing all the MOBO stuff each time I mess up.

Uther39

Distinguished
Dont worry about it, its all good practice, also when you apply the thermal paste try applying it directly onto the cpu, thats what i do and it seems to work better for me, you cant go wrong with AS5, but dont forget most pastes have a curing time before they perform at there best. Good Luck, Practice makes perfect.

Solution

fallout1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011

Do you think I should put the thermal paste on the CPU rather than the heatsink? I was going to go off this guide :

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

They showed the differences between a dot, two dots, and two lines as far as coverage.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Each person has their own personal style or way of putting TIM.My advice to you is just to make sure you follow the principles and also at that you do it the way you feel its right.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Personally I put the thermal paste on the CPU rather than the heatsink. But I'm not necessarily saying that it's better than the other method. I also prefer the method of just a pea size blob in the middle and it has never steered me wrong.

I just want to also mention that some thermal pastes may require a bit of time to properly cure and fill in all the voids. Recently I finished a build and when I started up the computer the CPU temps were about 40d even with the aftermarket heatsink. After leaving it running for a few hours it lowered it's idle to about 20d so don't get alarmed right away if the temps are high.

fallout1

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
So I ended up using the instructions on the ArcticSilver website, which recommended the vertical line method for Core i5 chips. I did this, reattached everything, installed Windows, and then downloaded CoreTemp. Seems to be consistently hovering between ~27-30C! Looks good to me! The CPU temp in the bios is still being reported as ~42C but CoreTemp says otherwise. I'm assuming the lower temps are more accurate since they're accompanied by much more data.