davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hi,

I just got a new motherboard, CPU and RAM kit. I have;
Asus M4A88T-V Evo USB3 Board.
AMD Phenom 2.8Ghz 1055T
Corsair XMS 3 2x2gb RAM modules

Had a problem to start of, I turned on the PC and nothing would happen. Bios wouldn't display on the screen. Now It has passed that point and I can get into Windows now. However, after running GTA IV, the pc just sorta blanked out and stopped functioning. It just does it randomly. Can anyone think of the solution? I've checked the stickied thread and none seem to match my problem.

What are the rest of the PC specs?

Check the event viewer to see if it's logging errors.
Run memtest to check your RAM.
Download CPUZ, and make sure your RAM timings/voltages match the manufacturer's specs, and set in the BIOS.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Kernel-Power failure?

I haven't done a mem test yet but it was the same with two different types of RAM.
Timings are meant to be 9-9-9-24 but some how they are set to 8-8-8-20, could this be a problem? Voltage is fine, 1.65v.

To other post, I haven't done a clean sweep of Windows, that could be the problem and I am going to test that soon.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
EventData

BugCheckcide 0
BugCheckParameter1 0x0
BugCheckParameter2 0x0
BugCheckParameter3 0x0
BugCheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

The Microsoft article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

States:
1. # Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
2. # Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
3. # Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
4. # Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
5. # Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Change your timmings to 9-9-9-24 and see if that works.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
1. I haven't intentionally done any overclocking.
2. Memory in my opinion shuold be alright because it does the exact same thing with another module.
3. Power supply could be a problem as it's only 700W. Yet, it still played GTA IV and still done a 'hard hang' when I disabled 3 cores.
4. I highly doubt it is overheating as there is ample amount of cooling. Antec 902, Corsair A50 CPU cooler and an ATI 4890 which is of course stock cooling.
5. I've not tried bios defaults yet.

Specs:
Antec 902
Asus M4A88T-V Evo USB3 board
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8Ghz 1055T processor
Corsair XMS3 2x2GB DDR3 9-9-9-24 1.65V
ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5
1x WD 320GB SATA HD
1x Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Drive

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

There is much under timings and I don't know which to change.

Well, It seems to have all of a sudden changed:S.

DRAM CAS# Latency 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 9
DRAM RAS# PRE Time 9
DRAM RAS# ACT Time 24
DRAM READ to PRE Time 5
DRAM Row Cycle Time 34
DRAM WRITE recovery Time 10
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay 5

DRAM READ to WRITE Delay 8
DRAM WRITE to READ Delay(DD) 2
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay(SD) 5
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Timing 4
DRAM READ To READ Timing 4
DRAM REF Cycle Time 110
DRAM Refresh Rate 7.8
DRAM Command Rate 1T

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
No, the old case is empty. My current PSU is the Arctic Power 700W. I managed to play GTA IV so I don't think it's a power supply problem and all the fans seem to power up on the PC.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Information:

DRAM Frequency: 669.6Mhz
FSB:DRAM 3:10
CAS# Latency (CL) 9.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 9 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 34 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

That's still not going to affect the power draw much. CPUs don't pull that much power. And if the PSU is faulty, changing other settings isn't going to change the fact that the PSU is faulty.

I'm not saying that it is 100% sure the PSU. It's just a very likely culprit.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
It seems to be pretty stable now, touch wood. I think this has been the longest it has been on. I will check for slack power cables if it fails again. If it was though? Wouldn't you think it would completely shut of the PC? Because the PC just displays a black screen and you can't even turn on the NUM Lock.

davidelliott

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I also just noticed I have missed some screws on the motherboard, there is stand-offs underneath, could that be a possible problem?