New to networking

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
Hey guys. I am new to networking and would like to know some things. I have a cable modem and need to set up a network between 2 computers that are in different rooms on the same floor. I care about security and speed. I have 2 desktops to network together.
I dont know what I actually need to set up a network. I heard all you need are 2 adapter cards and a router. If that is true, what types should I get? Can anyone recommend types or a site that guides me? Also, do computers come with the networking adapter card so I can check if i have one?
I dont even know whether I should get a wired or wireless. Any tips on that?

Thanks!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hotctyplaya24 on 12/19/04 08:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dns1980

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2004
Hi,man.
You can use either a wired or wireless.

Using the wired is cheaper, but the cables are really annoying sometimes.

You can also build a wireless LAN, but the adapter is much more expensive than the wired one.

Two adapters and a router can build your network in either way.

You can check here to find out what you want:

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the PCs are normal PCs and are not moved often, go wired, best for speed and security. You need just a router (which can be wireless for the future considerations). Get any type that you like (based on loox, feels, taste or smell of money left in your pocket), they all based on the same technology. So the cheapar the bettar (in some cases, some restrictions apply;o)

PS: you can check if PCs have NICs in them by looking on the back pannel of the PC and see if there is a thing which loox like phone jack but a little bigger (wider) than the phone one. Or if you have network cable, try all the holes on the back of the PC and if you can stick it into one of them then you have a NIC, and if you can't find the place to stick it in, then there is no NIC in your PC.

PSS: NIC = Network Interface Card = Network Card

PSSS: hope that helps (a lot ;o)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Unless your house is pre-wired with Cat5, or your comfortable with running cable yourself get a wireless router. It will have wired ports for workstations nearby and wireless capability for those you need to use a wireless client card on.

As far as your rig having a network card, look in the device manager in windows. That's the easiest way to tell. You can look on the back of your machine as well though you might get it confused with a modem phone jack port (RJ11). You can take the line out of your phone and try to plug it into the jack. If it is a perfect fit it's a phone line. If it is too small, it is network jack, (RJ45)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you dont want to have to run a wire in the wall wireless is for you. The easiest thing to do would be to pick up a Linksys WRT54G router and a Linksys WUSB54G. Put the WRT54G in the room with the cable modem, which I assume also contains one computer. Plug the computer in that room up to the router via the included ethernet cable. Plug the modem into the router's WAN port. Setup the router and wireless via the software included with the router. Plug the WUSB54G into one of the the other machine's usb ports and set it up with the included software. You will be good to go.

If the computer connected to the router via wire is fairly new it will have a network card. You can make sure by looking at the back of your machine and seeing if there is a plug that looks like a phone jack only wider. They usually have 1 or 2 lights on/near the plug.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Wireless is "fun", to say the least. It can be very unreliable, very finnicky, and very unpleasant. If reliability, stability, and speed are important, don't get wireless. I'd go so far as to say you should hire an electrician and run the cat5 to the two rooms. In every respect superior to wireless.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I have decided that I can use an ethernet cable from one computer to the router, and then use a wireless adapter for the other computer to share the internet connection. The only reason I am networking is for sharing the internet.

I have come down to these 3 routers:
1)Motorola WR850G or WR850GP Wireless Broadband Router
2)Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router OR Instant Broadband EtherFast Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN End
3)Netgear MR314 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

Any comments on what you would pick? Other suggestions are ok too.

Once again, thank you!

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
That's the order I would get the hardware in. I don't like any of Netgear's stuff, it just never seems to work right, though the build construction is usually quite good.

My two favorite brands are SMC and D-Link, in that order, however they don't sell cable gateways like the three you mentioned do. You'd have to get a separate modem, which honestly would be the avenue I would pursue. Easier to replace pieces if something breaks or you want to upgrade, or if you change ISP (say, going from cable to DSL - gateway routers don't work with DSL, only cable).

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html</A><--

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
I'd go with the Linksys product. Hackable firmware that if you want to get elaborate, will let you.

Oh, just because a router is also called a gateway doesn't mean it's limited to cable. The term gateway is a grey area frankly. Just means a node that connects networks. In many cases the dsl or cable modem is the gateway for a broadband user. A router is a layer 3 gateway. A bridge, a layer 2 gateway. Anyway, this is getting off topic, just wanted to clarify.

hotctyplaya24

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004
I havent found many reviews on the Motorola WR850G at all. However the few that I did find gave it an excellent rating. Anyone know anything about Motorola?

If not, then I think i'll go for the Linksys, they seem to be liked more than Netgear or DLink

RichPLS

Champion
I use and love the D-Link 604 10/100 4-port router.
It is solid and about $30

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Truth is they are all the same basically. You'll find guys who prefer one or the other based on personal experience. Trouble is that experience is usually one experience good or bad with a particular mfg. At the price point your talking about, as long as you stay with a big player (DLink, Netgear, SMC, Linksys) they are pretty much all the same thing. What you should look for is a feature set you like. Beyond that it's a dice roll.