Question... Digital point 'n'shoot with slave&strobe

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 31, 2005 1:36:20 PM

I've looked around but can't get a good answer..

I'm looking at getting a digital point and shoot camera... but the one
thing I don't like about them is the weak little flash they come with.

I want to know what will happen to the exposure if I use the on camera
flash to trigger a more powerful strobe (like the vivitar 985 or metz
CT-60).

I could work it out with a real (film) camera but I know next to
nothing about these newfangled things...
January 31, 2005 4:43:58 PM

ajames wrote:
> I've looked around but can't get a good answer..
>
> I'm looking at getting a digital point and shoot camera... but the one
> thing I don't like about them is the weak little flash they come with.

In the last several years, the more expensive models come with a hotshoe
so you can put a real flash on them.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:51:45 PM

I coupled an auto flash (non-dedicated) with an optical slave trigger. It is
not as convenient as TTL but the only thing I really need to know are the
aperture and the ISO speed, the rest is done by the flash. The results have
been quite acceptable. Since I have this setup from many, many years ago, it
does not cost me any extra but do work for my Finepix E550.

"ajames" <ajames54@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've looked around but can't get a good answer..
>
> I'm looking at getting a digital point and shoot camera... but the one
> thing I don't like about them is the weak little flash they come with.
>
> I want to know what will happen to the exposure if I use the on camera
> flash to trigger a more powerful strobe (like the vivitar 985 or metz
> CT-60).
>
> I could work it out with a real (film) camera but I know next to
> nothing about these newfangled things...

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:46:32 AM

Thanks for the input... I'll be giving it a try.
!