Replacing psu in aspire x3950

jammyjase

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
hope this is in the correct forum

i have an aspire x3950 and im going to put my graphics card into it. ive noticed the psu is only 220w so i need to replace it. i have a 500w psu in my old pc but the aspire is a smaller case. will the (standard size) psu out of my old pc fit into the aspire pc

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
The sad news is: most likely no. You are probably going to have trouble finiding a PSU of similar size that is 500 Watts, but you may not need that much power.

First thing you do is open your acer case and measure the power supply - it is probalby long and skinny.

Now measure your old pc supply - I am guessing it is 5 7/8" by 3 3/8" by 5 1/2", which is standard ATX form factor.

If the sizes are different, then figure out how much power you really need. Plug your video card model in this PSU calculator. Don't forget to add a value for capacitor aging at the end of the bottom right of the form. You might get lucky and find that your power requirements aren't greater than 220 W - it really depends on the video card you have.

Need a biggger PSU? look here to find a match: Odd size PSU search at Newegg

Confirm in the details that the size is correct - for small size power supplies the dimensions are usually provided.

Good luck!