Core I3 Integrated GPU

cjoenic

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
hello everyone, i found out my laptop (acer aspire 4738g) has integrated graphic of Core i3. Currently using ATI mobility 5470.
im wondering if i can switch to my core i3 integrated graphic, so it can save a bit battery life. because it doesnt have physical switch or application to switch graphic. besides, i did not find any "intel graphic adapter" in device manager.
any suggestion pls.
:ange: :ange:

cjoenic

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

tried. theres no gpu switching option. any other ideas? :??:

cjoenic

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
definitely nothing, just few boot option and security feature. i have a friend who had core i5 and he had a switch. when the switch is pressed, the screen flash then switched to intel graphic. and also his desktop context menu got an option "switch graphic'. while i didnt have that option neither.

(1) Have you looked thru the manual to see if there is a "FN + another key that allows for this.
(2) If not, and you do not see enable/disable in bios as Herr_Koos suggested, Then mostly likely - No. To cut corners (cost) of the MB they did not included the added circuitry to allow switching and this feature is "Locked" in bios.

Added: Looked thru the manual, saw nothing that would indicate the ability to switch graphics mode.

cjoenic

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

:ange: :ange:
actually ive referred the manual about like 50 time. theres nothing like it. the bios also has been upgraded to the latest version available. but no luck i guess.

once again, is there any hard mod or anything that will make it through?

Yes, can not be done by software/drivers alone.
Just the concept of switching. Would require a IC with 2 inputs, One from IGP and One from Dedicated GPU. Software would then send cmd to IC to use Input A, or Input B. This cmd would also have to be routed to IGP/GPU to turn off that function.

cjoenic

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

that make sense. so my core i3 gpu just been designed to be wasted. what a shame for acer. :eek: