Your question

Core I3 Integrated GPU

Tags:
  • Core
  • Switch
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 4, 2011 10:41:06 AM

hello everyone, i found out my laptop (acer aspire 4738g) has integrated graphic of Core i3. Currently using ATI mobility 5470.
im wondering if i can switch to my core i3 integrated graphic, so it can save a bit battery life. because it doesnt have physical switch or application to switch graphic. besides, i did not find any "intel graphic adapter" in device manager.
any suggestion pls.
:ange:  :ange: 

More about : core integrated gpu

May 4, 2011 12:00:49 PM

You should be able to switch between them in BIOS. By disabling the one, the other will become the default. Adding a discrete GPU automatically disables the integrated one.
m
l
May 4, 2011 2:06:19 PM

Herr_Koos said:
You should be able to switch between them in BIOS. By disabling the one, the other will become the default. Adding a discrete GPU automatically disables the integrated one.

tried. theres no gpu switching option. any other ideas? :??: 
m
l
May 4, 2011 2:41:37 PM

You won't find a setting that says "switch GPU". You have to look for a setting to enable/disable your discrete GPU.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:03:03 PM

definitely nothing, just few boot option and security feature. i have a friend who had core i5 and he had a switch. when the switch is pressed, the screen flash then switched to intel graphic. and also his desktop context menu got an option "switch graphic'. while i didnt have that option neither.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:04:00 PM

(1) Have you looked thru the manual to see if there is a "FN + another key that allows for this.
(2) If not, and you do not see enable/disable in bios as Herr_Koos suggested, Then mostly likely - No. To cut corners (cost) of the MB they did not included the added circuitry to allow switching and this feature is "Locked" in bios.

Added: Looked thru the manual, saw nothing that would indicate the ability to switch graphics mode.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:35:37 PM

RetiredChief said:
(1) Have you looked thru the manual to see if there is a "FN + another key that allows for this.
(2) If not, and you do not see enable/disable in bios as Herr_Koos suggested, Then mostly likely - No. To cut corners (cost) of the MB they did not included the added circuitry to allow switching and this feature is "Locked" in bios.

Added: Looked thru the manual, saw nothing that would indicate the ability to switch graphics mode.

:ange:  :ange: 
actually ive referred the manual about like 50 time. theres nothing like it. the bios also has been upgraded to the latest version available. but no luck i guess.

once again, is there any hard mod or anything that will make it through?
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:57:18 PM

VERY unlikely, as it would require additional circutry.
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:56:22 PM

RetiredChief said:
VERY unlikely, as it would require additional circutry.

by "circutry", you mean it can't be done by software / driver?
m
l
May 4, 2011 5:09:43 PM

Yes, can not be done by software/drivers alone.
Just the concept of switching. Would require a IC with 2 inputs, One from IGP and One from Dedicated GPU. Software would then send cmd to IC to use Input A, or Input B. This cmd would also have to be routed to IGP/GPU to turn off that function.
m
l
May 5, 2011 2:44:24 PM

RetiredChief said:
Yes, can not be done by software/drivers alone.
Just the concept of switching. Would require a IC with 2 inputs, One from IGP and One from Dedicated GPU. Software would then send cmd to IC to use Input A, or Input B. This cmd would also have to be routed to IGP/GPU to turn off that function.

that make sense. so my core i3 gpu just been designed to be wasted. what a shame for acer. :o 
m
l
!