Sign in with
Your question

Only 4gig RAM Showing 8gig Installed

Last response: in Memory
January 7, 2012 6:26:58 PM

Hello,
I just bought a new laptop.

Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5363

It came with 64bit Windows 7 and 4gigs (2x2gig)
Installed
In the specs of the laptop it shows that it can handle up to 8gigs of RAM

I Installed 2, 4gig strips and its only showing 4gigs installed. They were exact types of memory, identical.

I checked in the bios and it shows the same.
I don't get it.

Help, Please.

Thanks, Ollie
a b } Memory
January 7, 2012 7:53:34 PM

Are you sure it s a 64-bit machine? My guess is either one stick or a memory slot is dead.
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
January 7, 2012 8:05:29 PM

Could be that you have installed incompatible extra RAM?
Related resources
January 7, 2012 8:39:10 PM

Yeah, it's 64 bit, for sure. And both sticks are good and both slots work. They just don't work together.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2012 8:51:42 PM

iollie said:
Yeah, it's 64 bit, for sure. And both sticks are good and both slots work. They just don't work together.

Same memory?
January 7, 2012 10:13:09 PM

Yes, identical. I ordered them at the same time threw amazon.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2012 10:15:22 PM

Wow. Does it say it is running in dual channel? Check your motherboard to see what the maximum supported memory is.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2012 10:16:40 PM

I checked. The maximum memory is 8gb. Try re-seating the memory.
January 7, 2012 10:20:39 PM

Yeah, 8gigs. And yes, iv'e re-seated it numerous times. That is how I found out that everything works accordingly. Just not together.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2012 10:21:53 PM

RMA? That's the best I got. If they are both not defective, and all of the slots work, and the memory just doesn't work together, I have no clue.
a c 346 } Memory
January 7, 2012 10:23:58 PM

Here's the specs -> http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_fil...

Try removing (1) stick boot and check then swap with (1) stick and boot once again and check. Next with (1) stick try booting with (1) stick in each DIMM Slot. -- The first part checks the stick for a bad one, and the second test if you have a bad DIMM slot. Note the DIMM slot can be dirty. Therefore, using Isopropyl alcohol dampen the RAM's contacts and insert, clean, repeat, remove for 5~10 minutes to dry and try booting again.

Q - what EXACT set of (2x4GB) did you purchase? ; provide a link.

Also, open the Resource Monitor and see if >4000MB is in the HW Reserved; see below. If it is then the BIOS has turned-off one DIMM; typically a compatibly/bad stick/bad DIMM -- neither good. Chances are: 1. Bad stick, 2. Incompatible RAM. Compatible RAM -> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Satel... ; only buy in sets. The 'problem' is OEM BIOS doesn't allow you to change anything. You only want DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM RAM @ 1.50v or 1.35v.

January 8, 2012 5:59:44 AM

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM Notebook Memory. From amazon. I bought both at same time.
a c 346 } Memory
January 8, 2012 12:16:10 PM

The Kingston should work. What about the steps I described above?
a b } Memory
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2012 1:46:16 PM

Is the RAM you bought on the approved list that will work in your laptop? There is an old issue you may have encountered, hence the need to make sure you get the right kind of memory, check this out.
There is what they call double sided and single sided RAM. Some boards with limited memory slots, like laptops, can read a single stick of Double sided RAM as single banks in dual channel mode. If your board can only use single sided memory, and you have bought and installed double sided memory, it will only detect half the amount of memory as it can only "read" 1 side of the stick.
January 8, 2012 3:52:51 PM

No, the resource monitor is right. It is actually saying over 4gigs, at 4096mb. Installed.
And seeing that I just bought the laptop and the memory at the same time, new, and only like two months ago. I can rule out the possible that it is dirty.

Now i'm not sure about the double sided and single sided problem. It would make since to me. I just cant figure out those types of details about the laptop. Those are very detailed specs. Where would I look?
a c 346 } Memory
January 8, 2012 4:16:32 PM

No, what I said -> "Resource Monitor and see if >4000MB is in the HW Reserved" which is BAD.

Worst, if the Resource Monitor is saying Installed = 4GB then it's saying the DIMM is NOT even seeing the extra 4GB DIMM at all.

SS/DS (Single/Double Sided) RAM is not an issue with 1GB or larger. The only differences are the number (size) of the IC's per side with 4GB/stick -- some are 8 per side and some are 4 per side with your 4GB density.
January 8, 2012 7:08:46 PM

Resource Monitor

Physical Memory = Hardware Reserved: 538mb. In Use: 1372mb. Modified: 55mb. Standby: 1305mb. Free: 825mb.

Available 2127mb.
Cashed 1360mb.
Total 3558mb.
Installed 4096mb.
a c 346 } Memory
January 8, 2012 8:10:25 PM

As I said, the BIOS isn't even seeing the 2nd stick. I ass-u-me you tried (1) stick in slot #1 -- boot then the same (1) stick in slot #2 -- boot. If one fails and one works then you've got a DIMM slot issue otherwise RMA the RAM and get the Crucial I posted above.

There's nothing really more to it other than what I've posted. OEM BIOS and Notebooks are very limited -- work or fail. :( 
a b } Memory
January 8, 2012 9:52:44 PM

Have you tried checking each slot by using only 1 RAM? Ensure that every slot is working properly.
January 8, 2012 10:31:46 PM

I just found out that one of the slots is bad. I get a beeping error at boot up and nothing else. There are two slots. Will this laptop work with 1 x 8gig strip?
a b } Memory
January 8, 2012 11:31:55 PM

Yes it will support for sure. Just use 8GB in single working slot and forget about the other slot which is defected.
a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 12:52:13 AM

I believe that board will only work with 2 4gb sticks max, because the maximum memory it can support is 8gb, and that would be with both slots.
a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 1:00:25 AM

HostileDonut said:
I believe that board will only work with 2 4gb sticks max, because the maximum memory it can support is 8gb, and that would be with both slots.

No so.

He can use 8 GB in 1 stick. That laptop supports 8GB Max. But that doesn't mean that you can't use that 8GB in 1 slot.

That laptop doesn't limit 2x4GB. At least no information about such limit.
a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 1:11:20 AM

Akashdeep said:
No so.

He can use 8 GB in 1 stick. That laptop supports 8GB Max. But that doesn't mean that you can't use that 8GB in 1 slot.

That laptop doesn't limit 2x4GB. At least no information about such limit.

Oh, I always thought that meant you divide it by the amount of slots.
a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 1:21:30 AM

iollie, have you ensured the RAM voltage compatibility.
a b } Memory
January 9, 2012 1:28:30 AM

HostileDonut said:
Oh, I always thought that meant you divide it by the amount of slots.

You are correct. This one won't support the max in one slot. He is having either voltage issue or his one slot is defected.
!