grizzlybirds

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
QUESTIONS:

1) What can I do to make my computer run cooler outside buying a new heat sink?

2) What heat sink is compatable with my motherboard and i7?

3) Is there some BIOS I can do to help regulate and cool my computer better?

BACKGROUND:

I am running:
I built a Sweet Spot 2009 from Tech Report.
Processor Intel Core i7-860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333
Graphics Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
Samsung SH-S223L
Audio Asus Xonar DX
Power supply Corsair TX650W $
nclosure Antec P183

I built it this week. Last night it ran long enough, and strong enough, to load XP. I changed my mind and decided to load Windows 7 64 bit, using an upgrade disk. That meant I needed to clear the hard drive.

I inserted the Win 7 disk, and after a minute or so, the computer turned off. So I figured I needed to get a wipe hard disk utility, went online using a new USB wireless connector, and IE explorer crashed twice as I tried to load it. Then the whole computer went off.

THat's when I checked the temperature in BIOS, which was at 89c. Then I had family stuff, I came back to the computer, cleaned the Arctic 5 and reapplied better. I thought maybe I put the fan on better this time, too. I may have been too timid before.

But still, it started at 45 degrees and climbed to 55 in about 20 minutes. I turned fans to high to see if it would help, it didn't.

1. Ensure all pins tight and correct. apply thermal compound properly. Ensure good case airflow (an easy test it to remove the side panel and if your temps go down, there is something wrong). Check voltage settings in the bios.

2. Lots. You can find tons on retail sites.

3. Not really. There may be a setting for throttling when the cpu usage is low but that would only affect idle. There may also be an option related to the temps the cpu fan will kick to full speed.

grizzlybirds

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
As cheap as will work well :) I already spent all this money, but of course, it's no good if the computer is a no-go. Do you have any recommendations?

I did manage to change some BIOS settings called Advanced CPU Core Features. Thermal Moniotor, PROCHOT, CPU Enhanced Halt and State support, etc. Temperatures stopped rising immediately, and now the computer has been long enough that it is installing Windows 7.

I still think I just patched a problem for now. I guess I should try the new cooling device. If you just give me a few suggestions I'd be stoked.

Thanks for answering,

G

grizzlybirds

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Thanks. How would I check voltage settings? Or what would I want them to be? The cooling is stable now, at least enough that it's loading Windows7. But I still don't trust it.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
y dont u just remove one window of your casing for a better air flow? can u tell me what are the temps on dile and on heavy load and with normal load?