How much Do I Need?

I recently asked toms hardware to help me with an AMD build, and I'm now posed with another question, how much do I really need? With some builds at the enthusiast levels totaling over a couple grand and the most stingy of builders with $400 gaming pc builds, I am feeling lost not in terms of how to arrange a build, but wrather how much to spend.

So for a gaming pc at a res. of 1920x1200 at 55-60 fps on new games how much of a computer should I be aiming for?

EDIT: ( could I get a suggested build for ~800 maybe less, that meet these requirements?)
18 answers Last reply
More about need
  1. That depends on the games involved and the expected longevity of the system.

Many or even most games are still happy with a fast dual-core CPU and a $200 video card at 19x12.

A game like Civ V, or Total War, or others might appreciate the extra processing power of a strong quad-core, and more titles in the future will like that as well.

I usually try to recommend a system with a CPU that will last through a few video card upgrades. Been building since around '93 and I promise you whatever CPU you buy, it will eventually become a serious bottleneck. You just have to decide when that might happen and how much the extra time is worth.

My current system is an overclocked E8400 (dual) and a 5870, both on water but more for quiet than any extreme OC. I'm now ready to upgrade to a quad but waiting for the Sandy Bridge chipset to come back from it's recall.

i5-760 is a fine CPU for now, but I question how many years can be had out of it. Same for the AMD CPUs. I really don't think it's a great time to buy too much. If you really need to do it now, those are probably the best options.

So either wait for Bulldozer/P67 or shoot for something in the 1K range.
  2. Yeah, I've been looking at both Intel and AMD and was dissapointed with the 6 series chipsets being deshelved from Newegg. Mainly why I was asking this question was to see if there was a somewhat concrete answer, but I guess it's just personal preference.

Do you think a 955 BE and a MSI 460 Hawk would be good enough for Crysis 2?
  3. No.
    Not at 1920 x 1200
    with everything turned on
    No.

need atleast 6970 or equivalent.
  4. Well, what I've heard of Crysis 2 indicates it will run fine with that, but not at highest settings of course.

I think a 6950 2GB is a good value right now, and will cover reasonably good settings in Crysis 2. Get an 890GX board for possible future crossfire and a quality PSU in the 750W range and 2X4GB of RAM, and you are probably in pretty good shape.
  5. The 955 is, the 460 will be wanting a bit at 1080p and Crysis 2. 6870 at least, or the 6950/GTX560 is a much better choice.
  6. I was hoping that specifically the Hawk or Talon Attack version would give enough oc head way to yield a high 30-40 fps but I'm pretty much set up for a SLI configuration later on except another card.

I also saw a benchmark on a forum where Crysis warhead ran on SLI hawks with a 61.5 fps max but yet again only if I had another card. I like the 6870 rec. it would be cheaper than a sli just depends if I can squeeze the extra ~30 bucks from my parents on top of $850 up front for the 6870.

Thanks for the help by the way :D
  7. I'd say a 6850 crossfire would be ideal (and runs 350 right now)
  8. ...is there enough difference between the scaling to warant another 30 bucks for SLI 460 hawks

EDIT: scratch that last comment 2 6850's is equal/better than a 580 :ouch:

thank you ScrewySqrl you have made my day!
  9. get the 870 Extreme 3 from AS Rock
  10. It's already in my budget :D
    can't beat asus at a cheaper price AKA ASrock

My build:

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
    Asrock Extreme 3 870
    G.skill NS 4gb (2x2) DDR3 1333Mhz
    Asus EAH6850 ( getting another one later on)
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb (as boot drive, upgrading later)
    Antec Neo Eco 620 (same as a Earth watts except 5 bucks cheaper and 30w less power)
    -(2 molex to 6 pin adapter cables for CFX later on)
    Antec 300 case
    Cooler master hyper 212+
    Asus 24x DVD-RW OEM
    Win7 Home 64bit OEM
    + shipping =$828.91 USD
  11. Seems fine but i suggest get the RAM at 1600 Mhz rather than 1300 mhz. Its better for overclocking.
    And the PSU isn't going to support crossfire, because it has only 2 connectors, which will be taken by a single card.
  12. I was thinking I should upgrade the ram too, but in the case of the PSU u are technically correct but it has 6 Molex and with 2 adapters running to 6pins I can do this cheaper than I can buy a comparable quality PSU.

I also thought with using the adapter I would be limited in case fans but I can use the Mobo to take 3 and 2 left over molex pins for fans which will max out my Antec 300.

Edit: I used the eXtreme Psu calculator and put everything into account that we have talked about including 5 fans 3 120s and 2 140s without high performance or LED's and it came to 504w so I think a 620 continuous should hold it.
  13. ASRock is fine but just realize you are getting a 1 year warranty instead of 3.
  14. to Proximon: I know, what I could do is either go to an asus board which should give me a 3 year warranty, or I could buy a warranty with Newegg for 10 bucks.
  15. the as rock board has 8x/8x crossfire, that is why you get it. Its $20 cheaper than any 890.

Also HD6850 uses a SINGLE 6 pin PCIe power connector.
  16. To Proximon: how about this Asus board in the place of the Asrock

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    I don't think it had as good reviews but it does have 3 year a warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647&cm_re=Asus_870-_-13-131-647-_-Product

EDIT: this board has a 16x and a 4x Pcie connector on the board I missed that, the Asrock board is much better and cheaper :D
  17. ScrewySqrl yeah I was going with the Asrock board too, though a longer warranty would be nice.

Sorry, I got mixed up on the connectors I got it confused with the 460 Hawks. I'll make sure that everything checks out right before I purchase anything.
  18. So except a couple things I missed in the forum my configuration that I originally set out to build seems pretty straight, any more suggestions?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product