P180B - Front Panel Static - Solutions/Recommendations?

icer22x

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hello all,
I just bought a Corsair HS1A headset. Great sound. I am also running a Gigabyte X58-UD3R (rev. 2.0) motherboard.

Anyway, when I plug my headset into the front panel of my case, I get static whenever there is "calculating" going on in the hardware. For example, when loading a web page, scrolling through a web page, hovering over links with the mouse cursor and not to mention a weird humming sound in Fall Out 3 (haven't testing other games, but I am sure the issues are related).

I've done some research into this and apparently people have had issues with this with other Antec cases and suggest cutting the ground wires from audio/USB/Firewire. My problem is with the P180B, all the wires (save for the main ground to the chassis) are encased in a solid rubber mold (I love Antec's solid construction, but not in this case :D) so I can't go tinkering around.

Another user reported re-routing his audio cable behind his motherboard away from any "calculating" hardware. Mine is routed in front just above my graphics card (not touching it), but I tried moving it around while listening through the headset and nothing changed. I don't know if routing it behind the mobo will help any...

I was just wondering if anyone has a P180 and have experienced this problem and/or know a good solution. I am able to plug the headset into the motherboard directly and this resolves the issue. However, I cannot get the amount of volume from that port (I assume because it is more for surround systems even though the manual says I can use it for headsets).

Also, I am looking for someone with Antec tower recommendations that DO NOT have this problem. I am looking so see if I can get another case maybe that alleviates the problem.

Thanks guys.

BigDav

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009

My P180 had a one piece plug (marked audio) for the HD audio port of mobo, BUT also had individual marked pin plugs at the end of that cable as well
DSC00268.jpg

Get with your mobo maker and obtain the pin out map of the port in question and try the individual wires if your case has them.

icer22x

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

That's exactly how my case is. We have the same model.
I am speaking of the solid rubber mold you also have in your picture. That's where I assume the grounding wires are encased.

I don't think it's an issue from the cable-to-mobo side. More with the headset-to-front panel side.

If I got a pin out diagram of that audio cable, what would I do to help my issue? Are you experiencing this on your case?

BigDav

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I ended up just making my own connection (to the Mobo) with a 5-1/2 drive bay (card reader, headphone jacks, USB) solution.
I just abandoned the case front panel all together.
BTW, That old case of mine has been on the junk pile for almost two years. I now have a Cooler Master ATCS 840 that I like
much better than ANY case I've ever owned before.