Smoke From Mother Baord And System Shutdown. System boots as normal???

Meads

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I recently built my new system and had a little problem, i had my tower lay on the floor after i had assembled everything, i powered the system on and one of the wire inside got caught in the cpu fan, the system lost all power and there was a little bit of smoke and the smell of burnt electronics, i paniced at this point and just powered it back on, everything seems fine, temps couldn't be better. I am now worrying i have caused some sort of damage that may kick in whilst gaming or other high resource tasks on the computer.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, im on the system now and as i said before, everything is running sweet asfter installing windows 7.

Have i fried something? Should i be worrying like i am?

Meads

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

The wire wasn't damaged and nothing seems to be affected by the smoke, im running at a constant 27 degrees using an internet browser and other general use and at around 35-38 when gaming. It's an intel core i5 2500k processor. Im just worrying the system may become unstable, suppose only time can tell on that one. Is there any way i can stress the computer to it's full potential and see what happens?

Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The smoke and smell of burnt electronics had to come from somewhere. If you can locate the source of that damage, I may be able to tell you if you have an issue to be concerned about or not. If a wire/cable was damaged to the extent that it caused smoke and smell, the insulation between conductors is comprimised. Best to replace the wire/cable and/or device that it feeds.

On the otherhand, if the jammed wire/cable simply stopped the fan from spinning, the fan motor may have developed a 'locked rotor' condition for a moment. That would have caused the motor windings to over heat and begin to melt their insulation. (smoke and smell) If that were the case, replacing the fan would be recommended. But in that case, no damage to the computer system itself would have occured.

Meads

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

I am pretty certain it must have been the wire or the motor of the fan locking as i was grounded at the time and i did not touch anything on the computer apart from the power button on the case.

Thank you for clearing that up, i feel much more at ease now..