Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Eyefinity vs. Nvidia Surround 2D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2010 3:06:00 AM

I was wondering which way to go for triple monitor support and was wondering what people thought about eyefinity vs surround. I am planning on running 3 Dell U2311H monitors. I am aware that AMD allows eyefinity off a single card which is a plus compared to nvidias requirement to have SLI in order to use surround, but I am planning on crossfiring/SLI a mid end card or a single high end card anyway so its not a big deal. If people could share their opinions that would be great.

Best solution

December 6, 2010 4:15:36 AM

I had 3 5870s in Crossfire & used Eyefinity, I now have 3 GTX 580s in SLI and run Surround. Here are a couple things I've noticed.

1. Easier to switch back and forth between eyefinity and regular with AMD (set up shortcut keys, almost instant) With NVIDIA I have to go into the drivers, set up extend desktop, all that crap.

2. I had a problem with my Dell 3008wfp and the displayport losing signal (Searching came up with it pretty much being the DP using too low voltage or something, so they drop the signal. VEry annoying) No problems like that with NVIDIA.

3. Picture wise, once they are set up, they are both exactly alike as far as I can tell.

Overall, I would say if they have the DP issues fixed, I would prefer the AMD over NVIDIA because the drivers seem a lot easier to use for eyefinity. That being said I guess it's personal preference.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know and I'll try my best to answer it.
December 6, 2010 11:12:19 AM

wow, thats an amazing video card setup. Don't they get bottlenecked by the cpu you're using?

1. It's good to know eyefinity is easier to switch between, that would make it much easier to use.

2. I am planning on using the Dell U2311H, and I have yet to hear about any problems with the display port.

3. That is interesting to hear, I have seen a few benchmarks which show SLI surround having higher fps.

I am not biased in any way to either platform, just whichever one gets me better performance and is easier to use. It seems like eyefinity might be better on that regard, I am just wondering if their scaling has gotten much better with crossfire. If not I may have to just pick up a single card solution such as the 6970 and eyefinity with that. Is that a good idea? Do you think when it comes out, it will be able to handle 5760x1080 or 3240x1920 easily?
Score
Related resources
December 6, 2010 1:12:55 PM

1. to be honest, I don't really know if I am getting bottlenecked by the CPU, as SLI seems to be all (3) or nothing. That's another advantage of Xfire, it would let me choose between 2 cards, or 3 cards, or off. That was nice, as I could see the difference and measure it. I had a PII 965 @ 3.8. It killed me with the 5870s I would get 30-40% improvement going from 1 to 2 cards, but only like 5% from 2 to 3 cards. The 3rd card seems to improve the min fps more than the avg fps, which is really more important anyway, so that's good.

I can tell you the 3 580s crush just about everything at the highest settings. It's insane, but really a waste of money.

2. I think the DP problem was with the cards, not the monitor as a LOT of people were having problems and it seemed to come down to the DP voltage on the 5870s. I'm sure they have it fixed in the new series.

3. yes, I believe that SLI overall has scaled a lot better than xfire, although the 68xx series seems to be different, it seems to scale pretty amazing in most games.

4. The 6970 probably won't run those resolutions with decent frame rates, I would say the 6990 should be good, but we won't really know until next week I guess :) 

Overall though, I would say that 2 cards in any solution scale pretty well, the 3rd and 4th gpu give you horrible Price/Performance Gain.

Score
December 6, 2010 1:44:25 PM

microterf said:
1. to be honest, I don't really know if I am getting bottlenecked by the CPU, as SLI seems to be all (3) or nothing. That's another advantage of Xfire, it would let me choose between 2 cards, or 3 cards, or off. That was nice, as I could see the difference and measure it. I had a PII 965 @ 3.8. It killed me with the 5870s I would get 30-40% improvement going from 1 to 2 cards, but only like 5% from 2 to 3 cards. The 3rd card seems to improve the min fps more than the avg fps, which is really more important anyway, so that's good.

I can tell you the 3 580s crush just about everything at the highest settings. It's insane, but really a waste of money.

2. I think the DP problem was with the cards, not the monitor as a LOT of people were having problems and it seemed to come down to the DP voltage on the 5870s. I'm sure they have it fixed in the new series.

3. yes, I believe that SLI overall has scaled a lot better than xfire, although the 68xx series seems to be different, it seems to scale pretty amazing in most games.

4. The 6970 probably won't run those resolutions with decent frame rates, I would say the 6990 should be good, but we won't really know until next week I guess :) 

Overall though, I would say that 2 cards in any solution scale pretty well, the 3rd and 4th gpu give you horrible Price/Performance Gain.

1. Well its good to know that Crossfire has more advantages in terms of being able to turn and off crossfire. The most I would probably go in terms of SLI would be 2x560 or 2x570 for surround or 2x6870 or 2x6950. If crossfire scales really well and can handle those resolutions for eyefinity, I may go the AMD route.

2. Glad to hear it is on the way to being fixed.

3. I really do wish crossfire had better scaling, it would make the decision much easier. I guess time will tell, if 2x6870 or 2x6950 can scale really well I will probably go AMD.

4. I can't wait! I wish both nvidia and AMD would just release their new cards, I am very excited to see which card has the best price/performance ratio.

I don't see myself ever going tri/quad sli or crossfire. I just can't justify paying so much money for minor gains. I do think your setup is amazing Tri SLI with 3xGTX580's is just awesome.

Also, thanks for the feedback it has really helped in getting an idea on going surround or eyefinity. Although it all boils down to what the new cards are going to offer and at their respective price points.
Score
December 6, 2010 2:03:45 PM

Good to hear. Let me know what you finally get when you decide. All in All, I would have to recommend the AMD cards if I had to choose 1.

Thanks for the compliments, it's a beast. A huge money hole, but a beast. lol.
Score
December 6, 2010 2:35:51 PM

Best answer selected by 1-anh.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
December 6, 2010 7:48:41 PM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!