Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build advice

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 4, 2011 4:57:31 PM

Hello,
I am upgrading from a 775 socket Quad core Q6600 and would like to build the best quality/ price pc combination. I am not a gamer and my needs are for Photo editing large files from a 16 megapixel pro camera.
My budget is around 900 Pounds sterling excluding the monitor and casing of which I already own both of very good quality.
What CPU? i7,i5 or AMD?
x58 or 1155 socket?
Will an AMD Phenom 6 cores perform beter than and Intel with Photoshop CS3?
hOW MUCH ram ( I use Windows 7 professional 64 bit)
What is the cheapest video card to handle photo processing better than an integrated ?
Thanks

More about : build advice

a c 119 à CPUs
May 4, 2011 7:49:26 PM

for 950 pounds you can have...

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Operation Flashpoint Red River Game
£249.98
Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
£179.99
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
£136.55
Antec TruePower New Modular 750W Power Supply
£109.99
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two (V3) Ultimate Gaming Case (with USB3.0 Support) - Black
£99.98
G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)
£83.99
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £43.99
Pioneer 24x Internal S19LBK DVD Rewriter including Labelflash SATA Retail
£21.98
Sub Total : £772.05
Shipping : £13.75
VAT is being charged at 20.00%
VAT : £157.16
Total : £942.96

you could probably go cheaper again and knock off 50 pounds with a smaller psu and less memory... but this rig is a nut buster
as it stands. all prices correct at time of printing. list gathered from www.overclockers.co.uk
you may want to check out there pre overclocked bundles. which save you the effort of doing it...
Related resources
May 5, 2011 2:54:12 AM

Many Thanks BigDav,
This answer is very helpful since I am visiting UK in July. The configuration proposed seems really great and I can ever better it by a second HD and also an SSD to hold my OS since I also do not need a ne DVD Writer nore a casing as suggested. I already have good ones.

My question still remains however, do I need such a beast for photo editing with no need of a fast processor since I do not need 3D acceleration for gaming? It seems that the 1155 socket is to be faded out with new processors and new Mobos coming soon. Allas not soon enough since I will be in UK i9n July. I have already invested in a NEC monitor, the 19" SXi, which is the best I could find for my needs.
So?? Do I keep my sluggish 775 and wait for INTEL? do I switch to an AMD board with Phenom 11 6 core and possiblilty to move to Bulldozer when it is released or do I go for 1155 with i7 or i5 knoweing that it will be faded out in a very short time?
May 5, 2011 3:12:03 AM

HEXiT said:
for 950 pounds you can have...

Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor with FREE Operation Flashpoint Red River Game
£249.98
Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
£179.99
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard - (Sandybridge) ** B3 REVISION **
£136.55
Antec TruePower New Modular 750W Power Supply
£109.99
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two (V3) Ultimate Gaming Case (with USB3.0 Support) - Black
£99.98
G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)
£83.99
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ) £43.99
Pioneer 24x Internal S19LBK DVD Rewriter including Labelflash SATA Retail
£21.98
Sub Total : £772.05
Shipping : £13.75
VAT is being charged at 20.00%
VAT : £157.16
Total : £942.96

you could probably go cheaper again and knock off 50 pounds with a smaller psu and less memory... but this rig is a nut buster
as it stands. all prices correct at time of printing. list gathered from www.overclockers.co.uk
you may want to check out there pre overclocked bundles. which save you the effort of doing it...


Mny thanks HEXIT. Very Helpful please see my answer which I wrongly addressed to Big Dav who also gave me an excellent link.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2011 3:39:50 AM

By July the new 4-8 core Bulldozer will be out and you will be able to compare them. You can also use the video card for rendering if you upgrade to CS5.
May 5, 2011 4:23:17 AM

More than likely, both AMD and Intel will require new sockets soon, there will just not be enough pins in the current interface to carry what's coming down the line in the very near future. But don't wait for the next generation. Your needs are graphics power and tons of memory, don't cut corners there! Photo editing takes up very little CPU cycles. Buy intel socket board that takes real fast memory and lots of it. Make sure it has several PCIe slots (they soon will be good for many other add on cards) for graphics upgrades
May 5, 2011 4:50:38 AM

mosox said:
By July the new 4-8 core Bulldozer will be out and you will be able to compare them. You can also use the video card for rendering if you upgrade to CS5.



True and they still wont be as good as the intel CPUs.
a c 119 à CPUs
May 5, 2011 7:55:47 AM

its looking that way if rumors are true, it seems its gonna be pretty weak at certain maths. which will be a big hurdle. add to that the news that ivy bridge is gone from 2d to 3d tech, buldozer's position is looking even weaker.
May 5, 2011 4:00:56 PM

Many thanks chaps,
This was very helpful and confirms what I was thinking. I need extra RAM and at least two large HD + 1 SSD Running on SATA 6g. Her is what I am aiming for if the situation remains the same up to July or if the new platforms are too expensive:

Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz (Sandy Bridge) Socket LGA1155
Asus P8P67-M PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155)
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Crucial Real SSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 8.5ms 7200rpm X2
OCZ StealthXStream2 700w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS
ASUS GeForce GT 430 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Any Comments?
May 5, 2011 4:16:08 PM

ivy Bridge 3d will not be out before end 2011 and will surely cost the price of a new Ferrari so I better start saving or stick to the above
May 6, 2011 1:21:12 AM

robmom said:
Many thanks chaps,
This was very helpful and confirms what I was thinking. I need extra RAM and at least two large HD + 1 SSD Running on SATA 6g. Her is what I am aiming for if the situation remains the same up to July or if the new platforms are too expensive:

Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz (Sandy Bridge) Socket LGA1155
Asus P8P67-M PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155)
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Crucial Real SSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 8.5ms 7200rpm X2
OCZ StealthXStream2 700w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS
ASUS GeForce GT 430 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express

Any Comments?

Nice choices!
By July the prices will drop further, so you could consider the 128GB SSD, and make sure you get the GT 440 with GDDR5, it's worth the xtra $
May 7, 2011 10:50:43 AM

What about MAC?? I am very ignorant about MAC. Would an iMac with 27"screen and i3 processor be better than the above for my needs?
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 12:28:35 PM

robmom said:
What about MAC?? I am very ignorant about MAC. Would an iMac with 27"screen and i3 processor be better than the above for my needs?

The build that you just stated was very good itself.Macs in my opinions are more to do with music and movies.They arent practical.
May 7, 2011 3:44:50 PM

Thanks!! I also had this feeling but still it has a nice 27" screen which is very good looking. My NEC is not bad either.
!