CORE I5 SERIES GRAPHICS ENOUGH???

hotdev

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
i was looking at core i 5 series article and it mentions ''Get awesome performance for mainstream gaming
with Intel® HD Graphics— no extra hardware needed.''
What does that mean???
1.Do we need a gpu or not???? Well im willing to spend on core i5 2300... Is it worth coz i dont wanna install gpu to run games like 'forgotten sands' or i have to force myself to buy one
2.is amd phenom 2 x6 better or core i5 2300 to work on integrated graphics???????????????
3.for budget build shuld i go in for phenom 2 x4 955 or 965 black editions????
My friend advising me to choose
phenom 2 x4 965 black edition and says selecting core i3 2100 is like picking amd x2????
What shuld i choose for budget build??? Following are my options:
a)core i5 2300 with h67 (only if integrated graphics with this combo beats the below)
b)amd phenom 2 x4 955 or 965 black editions for integrated or amd phenom x6????
b)core i3 2100 with temporary gtx 9600
(Just decent gaming and nt hardcore gaming)
Please help everyone

1 If your gaming forget integrated graphics nothing integrated is any good for gaming unless your using a 14" seriously low resolution screen and want to put all settings on lowest quality.
2 Intels i series the graphics are integrated into the CPU while AMDs current range will be built into the motherboard so can vary, it not relevant due to answer above.
3 Get the 955 you can just set the multiplier and make it run like a 965 for free.
What ever you get try to get a Radeon 5770 or better even if it means getting an Athlon x3.

hotdev

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Ok just one thing choose between core i3 2100 and amd phenom 2 x4 955 and x6 for best performance in long run???????

For gaming such as World of Warcraft or Starcraft 2, the graphics on our 2nd generation Intel Core processor will allow you to run them at a fair level. If you are looking for better performance than what the Intel HD 2000 graphic can bring to the table you would need to add a medium level dedicated video card. Most of gamers would find that the on processor graphic wouldn’t be fitting for their needs. Now the Intel® Core™ I3 2100 is great processor for any gamer on a budget.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

The HD Graphics 3000 core in the i5 2500K is more appropriate for gaming than the HD Graphics 2000 core in lower end i5 Sandy Bridge CPUs. Generally speaking, it performs better than the Radeon HD 5450. Based on the following review the HD Graphics 3000 core losses to the HD 5450 in HAWX 2 and Starcraft 2.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/intel-hd-graphics-2000-3000.html

If the HD Graphics 3000 core in the i5 2500K could actually beat an nVidia 9600GT, then AMD and nVidia would be in serious trouble.

The phenom x 6 is not worth looking at at all as the x 4s are better for gaming and cheaper. As for i3 2100 Vs Phenom x 4 955 both are around the same price when you include a motherboard. The i3 performs better for gaming though a bit worse overall. If you are mainly gaming the i3 is the better option but there are a few reasons to consider the 955 such as:
The motherboards are better value not just cheaper but if you want more features like crossfire you can save even more on the motherboard.
You can overclock it easily by a few hundred MHz and with a cheap cooler by 800+ MHz while the i3 you cannot at all.
The true 4 cores make it better than the i3 for most non gaming apps.
The cheap i3 boards have only the most basic functions.
You can buy AM3+ boards now giving as good upgrade path as the i3 and they are cheap.
My advise get the i3 unless at least 2 of the above interest you (maybe 1 if its the crossfire one). BTW when you say in the long run do you mean for upgrades or if future games may favour one, I don't think anything I said would change either way.

hotdev

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Fine i agree so im heading for for phenom x4 955 but please provide me few models of am3+ asus boards