I7 970 or i7 960 for fast editing with CS5 Premiere Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee-52

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi
I am getting a new computer built for editing HD video tapes, using Adobe Premiere Pro [CS5]

I am undecided whether to spend the extra to get an i7 - 970, rather than the 4 core i7 - 960. I'm not sure if I will be able to see the difference between 4 or 6 cores with Premiere Pro. I'm not a gamer at all. I had planned to get the Sandy Bridge until they recalled the product and I have been told it will be a minimum 2 - 3 months before the problem is fixed.

The rest of the build is:
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 12GB PC3-16000 [3X4GB]
POWER SUPPLY : CORSAIR TX-850
GRAPHICS: MSI NVIDEA GEFORCE GTX 470 twin Frozr II
BOOT DRIVE: Western Digital Velociraptor WD6000HLHX
VIDEO DRIVES: 4 x 1TB Western Digital Cavier Black, run in RAID 5
OP SYSTEM: WINDOWS 7 PRO
BLU-RAY BURNER: PIONEER BDR-206
CASE: COOL MASTER SNIPER SGC-6000

If you can see anything where I have overkilled or underkilled, or omitted, please advise?
Thank you for your help.

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums
6 core CPUs help in heavy image/video editing tasks but i7 970 isn't worth its price because the performance gain you get isn't worth the extra money(compared to i7 960) so go with i7 960 or 950.They both can handle Premiere Pro fine.
About your build,well if you are not a gamer,then go with a cheaper card like GTS 450.
Also 850W is overkill for your build,Corsair VX550 is enough and good.(If you get the GTS 450)
Other specs look great.

HeyImGodly

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
i7980x or i7 950.
your choice.
$1100 vs. $300

your choice.
Ram is No.
GPU is No.
Case is No.
Buner is No.
HDD are No.

Basically i hat what you've chosen.
and if you want ill build a better one for you.

Hello and welcome to the forums
6 core CPUs help in heavy image/video editing tasks but i7 970 isn't worth its price because the performance gain you get isn't worth the extra money(compared to i7 960) so go with i7 960 or 950.They both can handle Premiere Pro fine.
About your build,well if you are not a gamer,then go with a cheaper card like GTS 450.
Also 850W is overkill for your build,Corsair VX550 is enough and good.(If you get the GTS 450)
Other specs look great.

Solution
If SB was an option i would do that but hey price cuts and some succulent deals means 1090T more than viable alternative ^^

Actually Icrontic got excellent results X6 + MPE in CS5 Premiere and u dun have to deal with mobos that cost an arm and a leg hehe
A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gpu-computing-adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-and-the-mercury-playback-engine/
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

1090T +MSI 870A-G54 $240 (ATX + USB/SATA 3.0)
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

Items off Egg $369AR
Untitled-1331.jpg

$609AR in total

lee-52

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thank you for all your advise I will take it on board. The reason I'd chosen the gtx 470 was that it allowed the mercury acceleration to be enabled in cs5.

Status
Not open for further replies.