Problems upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 15, 2005 12:13:04 PM

I bought a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 running Windows XP Home last
fall and have been pretty happy with it until today. This morning, I
upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro (with SP 2), and in a very short
period of time I already have observed the following problems, and I
suspect more are waiting to be discovered. I already called Toshiba's
customer support line, and they were completely unhelpful, suggesting
only that I "do a Google search" for possible answers (which, however,
is exactly what I did).

Here are the problems, in descending order of annoyance:

1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working.

When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for
controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off," and
the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing
driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem to have any
effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the behavior of
the touchpad.

2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help,
customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics.
(This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google
a solution.)

3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File
dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...
March 15, 2005 2:13:20 PM

:
I would never do an upgrade I would do a fresh install
: if you had xp home all you needed to do was install sp2
: there really is not that much of a difference between xp home and
pro.
:
:

I needed Pro in order to be able to run several development aps,
including VS.Net.

The point is that upgrading from one XP version to another on a brand
new laptop shouldn't crash so many functions.
March 15, 2005 3:10:31 PM

Very helpful. Idiot.
Related resources
March 15, 2005 3:38:49 PM

"paul" <paul@frogs.org> wrote in message
>I bought a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 running Windows XP Home last
> fall and have been pretty happy with it until today. This morning, I
> upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro (with SP 2), and in a very short
> period of time I already have observed the following problems, and I
> suspect more are waiting to be discovered. I already called Toshiba's
> customer support line, and they were completely unhelpful, suggesting
> only that I "do a Google search" for possible answers (which, however,
> is exactly what I did).
>
> Here are the problems, in descending order of annoyance:
>
> 1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working.
>
> When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for
> controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off," and
> the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing
> driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem to have any
> effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the behavior of
> the touchpad.
>
> 2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help,
> customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics.
> (This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google
> a solution.)
>
> 3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File
> dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink!
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 4:24:01 PM

paul wrote:
> I bought a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 running Windows XP Home last
> fall and have been pretty happy with it until today. This morning, I
> upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro (with SP 2), and in a very short
> period of time I already have observed the following problems, and I
> suspect more are waiting to be discovered. I already called Toshiba's
> customer support line, and they were completely unhelpful, suggesting
> only that I "do a Google search" for possible answers (which, however,
> is exactly what I did).
>
> Here are the problems, in descending order of annoyance:
>
> 1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working.
>
> When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for
> controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off,"
> and the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps
> Pointing driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem
> to have any effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the
> behavior of the touchpad.
>
> 2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help,
> customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics.
> (This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google
> a solution.)
>
> 3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File
> dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink!
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

It's too late. Not to pick, but the idea that one simply steps up to
the machine one morning and does an upgrade install is simply wrong. At
this point, there is not much else to do except a clean install. These
little items likely indicate more serious problems lurking in the
background.

The right way to do an upgrade install is to first do everything humanly
possible to verify that the original installation is perfect before
upgrading to prevent the OS from tripping all over itself with
pre-existing errors. Sfc, chkdsk, disk cleanup, clean drivers, defrag,
virus/malware checks, etc., the same process that SP2 requires (and M$
itself knows better than to allow an unintended installation of SP2 on
an unverified OS, but Bill got up one morning and....).

March 15, 2005 8:13:26 PM

Thank you... Very helpful suggestions Andrew. I appreciate your time.
I will check to see if there are additional update files to install
from support.Toshiba.com. I'd like to think that I didn't install over
any adware etc, because I have been running up-to-date virus software
and anti-adware from the beginning and haven't had any problems, but
who knows...could be a temperate strain did me in.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 8:20:31 PM

>1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working.

You don't mention so I must ask. Did you get all the Toshiba utilities
from their site? I have a Toshiba and there must be 20 new files for
the upgrade you describe.
Even if your notebook left the factory last week, the update disks
that came with it are out of date.

>When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for
>controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off," and
>the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing
>driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem to have any
>effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the behavior of
>the touchpad.
>
>2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help,
>customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics.
>(This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google
>a solution.)
>
>3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File
>dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink!

That might be an SP2 security feature but most likely you can change
it by poking around.

>Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

If there is any chance that you upgraded over spyware, adware, or
malware, forget the entire thing and start over. Every single failed
XP2 upgrade can be traced back to an install that went over one of
those three things. Adware messes with XP at it's core in such a way
that an upgrade over top of it can never be trusted. Ironicly, SP2
turns off raw socket access, just to prevent that type of thing.
March 15, 2005 8:42:31 PM

BigJIm <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I would never do an upgrade I would do a fresh install
: if you had xp home all you needed to do was install sp2
: there really is not that much of a difference between xp home and pro.

What if you want to import a foreign disk? (I have been unable to do
this with XP Home, had to do it with a Windows 2000 box). What if you
want to put your computer on a network with a domain? Can't do it
with XP Home.

Andrew
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 8:42:32 PM

Andrew wrote:

> BigJIm <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
> : I would never do an upgrade I would do a fresh install
> : if you had xp home all you needed to do was install sp2
> : there really is not that much of a difference between xp home and pro.
>
> What if you want to import a foreign disk? (I have been unable to do
> this with XP Home, had to do it with a Windows 2000 box). What if you
> want to put your computer on a network with a domain?

Of course you can. You just can't join the domain. This may or may not be
a problem depending on what degree of security the administrator has
implemented.

I have a domain on my home LAN and neither my laptop with XP Home nor my
Media Center machine with MCE 2K5 (which also cannot join a domain except
at install-time) has any problem accessing the servers. But I'm not real
paranoid about security on a network on which I'm the only user.

> Can't do it
> with XP Home.
>
> Andrew
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 4:38:38 AM

On the touchpad, you don't have the drivers installed, it's using the
default "mouse" drivers. You can get the driver from the Toshiba web site.

You are probably going to have to do a clean install to straighten it
all out.

paul wrote:

> I bought a Toshiba Satellite A55-S3063 running Windows XP Home last
> fall and have been pretty happy with it until today. This morning, I
> upgraded the OS to Windows XP Pro (with SP 2), and in a very short
> period of time I already have observed the following problems, and I
> suspect more are waiting to be discovered. I already called Toshiba's
> customer support line, and they were completely unhelpful, suggesting
> only that I "do a Google search" for possible answers (which, however,
> is exactly what I did).
>
> Here are the problems, in descending order of annoyance:
>
> 1. The scroll function on my touchpad has stopped working.
>
> When I went to Control Panel > Mouse, I found that the only tab for
> controlling anything touchpad related is labeled "TouchPad On/Off," and
> the touchpad is indeed on. I downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing
> driver from Toshiba's website (twice), but this didn't seem to have any
> effect--nothing changed either in Control Panel or in the behavior of
> the touchpad.
>
> 2. The Start > Help and Support function (standard Windows help,
> customized for Toshiba) hangs when I request a search of Help topics.
> (This is the one where my friendly Toshiba rep suggested that I Google
> a solution.)
>
> 3. Clicking on hyperlinks within emails now open up the Open File
> dialog, rather than opening up the hyperlink!
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 4:38:39 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:

> On the touchpad, you don't have the drivers installed, it's using the
> default "mouse" drivers. You can get the driver from the Toshiba web
> site.

Barry, if you will read further down you will find that he stated that "I
downloaded and installed the Alps Pointing driver from Toshiba's website
(twice)".

I fail to see how informing him that he can obtain the driver from the site
from which he said that he obtained the driver (twice) serves any purpose.

> You are probably going to have to do a clean install to straighten it
> all out.

This is probably true.

--
!