Sign in with
Your question

New RAM/MOBO For Video Editing And Gaming Preformance

Last response: in Memory
January 8, 2012 5:25:00 AM

Well these are my current specs I use this for gaming and video editing mostly.
Processor : IntelCore2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Memory:4096MB RAM
Hard Drive:1 TB
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
Motherboard : ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX

I wondering if boosting these specs to a 64-bit win7, New MOBO with 8gb (I have 4x 2gb sticks same memory) DDR2, or 8gb DDR3 (I need to purchase probably a 2x4g combo with a new mobo). Also since my video card is PCI-E 2.0 would it run a little better with said upgraded mobo with pci-e 2.0 support (Mine Doesn't Have It and I have been encountering some odd issues with the card). But yeah I was wondering if these small things would help me in gaming, video editing and multi-tasking.

One thing is for sure to do anything with ram I need a new motherboard because (2x4gb DDR2) cost a lot now a days. I just need to find the right build in my budget (I would say around 120-200 bucks as of now for whatever it is I need to upgrade). Only problem I am having is that I feel as if I get 8gb DDR3 and a 775 mobo, I can't upgrade in the future because most of what I have seen is Dual-Channel 2 slots and I'll be stuck in the same position when wanting to upgrade the processor/ram. So I have three choices. 1. Wait it out and not spend my money until I get enough for a brand new full upgrade. 2. Buy a mobo and use the DDR2 sticks 4 x 2gb in my pc and taken out of my dad's pc (Same Sticks). 3. Get a brand new mobo with 2x4gb DDR3 Memory.

I currently enjoy playing video games and youtube, I use a roxio game capture to record my gameplay on consoles sometimes the audio lags and it has errors. I think a lot can go into that but I think more ram would help because my brothers lap top got ate up when recording he has a slower lap top with 2-3gb of ram and a small hard drive. Also while using my video editing software to edit a video it tenses up at times and has issues (Sony Vegas Pro 9.0 and 11.0). I would like a new mobo/set up because I need more USB slots and to make recording and editing a crap ton easier to add in more ram/usb would help me tons I am not sure if it would be worth it though. Fixing my gaming would help too because I am getting into PC gaming and it's been a lot of fun so far.

One more question for the future when creating my new PC which is best for video editing RAM, CPU or GPU!?! Thanks guys I hope you guys can help me with my questions.

Here is the current ram I have.

January 8, 2012 9:17:44 AM

Thanks but it's out of stock like the majority of stuff I have been looking for/at. :( 
m
l
!