Sign in with
Your question

Thermal/Fan sensor

Last response: in Components
May 4, 2011 9:58:45 PM

Hi, I have a issue I have been working on for 2 day and am at my wits end. I have an old Asus A7V133 I am using as a home server running Xubuntu Linux and I can't get the OS to read the CPU temperature or fans speeds at all. The motherboard apparently has a VIA VT82C686 southbridge which is what I assume is handling the temp sensors. The reason for wanting to monitor the temp and fan is that currently the fan is spinning out of control at around 6300 rpm and it sounds like a Dustbuster. I would install a fan speed control but I still need to be able to see my temps to make sure all is working well. Installed lm-sensors and when I run 'sensors-detect' in Xubuntu it comes back with:

'Driver 'via686': * Chip 'VIA VT82c686 Integrated Sensors' (confidence: 9) To load everything that is needed, add this to /etc/modules:via686a.'

I added the via686a automatically when prompted. To which the program responds:

'Monitoring programs won't work until the need modules are loaded. You may want to run '/etc/init.d/module-init-tools start' to load them. Unloading i2c-dev.....ok.

I then enter:

/etc/init.d/module-init-tools start

The bash comes back with:

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start module-init-tools
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.43" (uid=1000 pid=2049 comm="start) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

Long story short I have tired everything I can find on the net to get a reading off of the fan/temp sensor. I know the motherboard has sensors cause I can see the temp and fan rpm in the BIOS but getting them to work in Xubuntu is proving to be extremely frustrating. I have tired installing conky and a couple of other programs but nothing can tap into these sensors. When I do a acpi -V command I get cooling 0: Processor 0 out of 15.

More about : thermal fan sensor

May 5, 2011 1:32:14 AM

thats a question to ask the xubunu forums. In redhat you would run the sensors-detect command iirc.
m
l
!