Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 4870 driver support

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2010 1:59:44 PM

Hello,
I am wondering for a while now if other people who own a radeon 4870 have noticed poor driver support.

In this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c... you can see that the card is lagging behind the 5750 and 5770 series. Now I understand that this is just one benchmark but the newer games often don't get benchmarked with this card. My understanding was that the radeon 4870 should perform in between the 5750 and the 5770 while sometimes outperforming both. The card has almost the same specs as the 5770 and has a broader memory bandwidth.

I have also seen the card perform poorly in the new Need for speed most wanted game compared to a radeon 5770, which my friend has in a similar setup.

My question is have other people had similar results with this card and newer games. And could it be true that AMD is not supporting this older generation like the new one?
December 8, 2010 7:06:41 PM

I have two 1 gig 4870`s in CF but i have to be honest i tend to have better performance when using just the one card,i have been playing Mafia 2,F1 2010 and Battlefield 2 so fairly new games in both single and CF setup and dont really see much gain but as for poor drivers i have only experianced that a couple of times and the latest 10.11 being one of them,i had to go back to 10.10 to get F1 2010 to run properly.
December 8, 2010 7:23:51 PM

magilxxl said:
Hello,
I am wondering for a while now if other people who own a radeon 4870 have noticed poor driver support.

In this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c... you can see that the card is lagging behind the 5750 and 5770 series. Now I understand that this is just one benchmark but the newer games often don't get benchmarked with this card. My understanding was that the radeon 4870 should perform in between the 5750 and the 5770 while sometimes outperforming both. The card has almost the same specs as the 5770 and has a broader memory bandwidth.

I have also seen the card perform poorly in the new Need for speed most wanted game compared to a radeon 5770, which my friend has in a similar setup.

My question is have other people had similar results with this card and newer games. And could it be true that AMD is not supporting this older generation like the new one?

Your not imagining things but to be honest its to be expected.
When a new Archetecture comes along or even a tweak to an existing one the card makers and thus the driver teams are only interested in getting as much performance out of the newest cards when playing the most popular games.
the cards are mostly bought and sold on the basis of benchmark results, consiquently they dont really care if what gets them 10 FPS on a HD5850 loses the same amount on a HD4850.
I always review each driver update and as with all things of this sort such as Bios updates i only update if i 100% need to or there is support for a feature i want/need.
Im running on 10.3 drivers at the moment after updating from 9.7. All my games play great and everything else is fine, in other words i fit isnt broke dont fix it.
Something else to take into consideration is that new cards will always improve with driver releases, some say ATI/AMD do this on purpose to keep the cards improving and have a bit of performance in hand for new releases or Nvidia releases or refreshes. I dont know if this is true or not. Either way the 5770 is a much better card now than it was at launch.

Mactronix :) 
Related resources
December 9, 2010 6:10:08 PM

Thank you for your replies. What I’m trying to get at is that it is to be expected that support for older architectures declines over time. But I’m getting the impression that older chips aren’t properly supported on purpose. Hardware wise the radeon 4870 is superior to the 5750 and 5770 while architecturally not that different. I understand that older hardware is not on top of AMD's list but by letting older hardware underperform in newer games they could be trying to get some people to upgrade their hardware and make more money. In my past experience I noticed that most high end cards have a life cycle of about two years on while playing at decent settings. Now I feel like that time is getting shorter while hardware is not improving faster than before.

Now if my assumption is correct I’m wondering if Nvidia is doing the same thing. I’m not really a fanboy but I have been using Ati products for the last few generations because Ati offered good value for money at that moment. I might take long term driver support into consideration before buying or advising people on new hardware so any thoughts would be much appreciated.
December 9, 2010 7:53:29 PM

But they dont force you to upgrade your drivers do they ? If as i sugested above you review the performance of each driver and importantly keep the drivers where you downloaded them then you have a bank of drivers to use.
These numbers may be a bit off but I think it was the 8.6 drivers and later the 8.12 that were the best drivers back when I had my 3850.
When a new card comes out I wont even bother to look at the drivers anymore I just use which ever set I know to be best.
I used Omega drivers that I heavily modded myself for a while with the 3850 as well.

I really dont think they are clever enough to increase performance in new cards and at the same time purposly sabotage the performance of older GPU's.
I think its more the lack of optimisation for the older cards added to the increasing optimisation of the new cards as well as games being released that the older cards were never tested with or optimised for that give a huge swing in favour of the newer cards.

What I can say for certain that they do to entice people to buy newer cards is to price them so close to the older cards as to make it daft not to buy the new ones.

Mactronix :) 
!