Sign in with
Your question

Question about Upgrades!

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2011 3:12:29 PM

Ok I am looking to upgrade my system without spending alot of money.

I currently am running..

Q6600 overclocked to 3ghz
780i xfx motherboard
Acer monitor 1440x900
x2 9800 gtx black editions from XFX

I have noticed that when I run SLI I get no improved performance. I am guessing this is because I am not running a high enough resolution.

My question is.. If I keep running at this resolution should I even bother just upgrading my video card itself or should I go for a new motherboard and CPU instead and keep my video cards.

I use my computer mostly for gaming/graphic design/websites.

I am looking to upgrade my system to run rift.. I do realize my current rig is powerful enough to run it but I like to have a overkill system so I get the highest FPS possible.

I would like to stick under the $600 range to upgrade.

More about : question upgrades

a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2011 3:13:48 PM

What resolution are you running at? SLI should be giving you a boost unless the game doesnt support SLI or its CPU limited.
m
l
February 5, 2011 3:23:19 PM

only 1440x900
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 3:20:57 AM

no replies? I thought id get lots of replies :-(
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2011 3:40:42 AM

Its the weekend, there arent many people on, it should pick up on monday.

What games are you running where its not showing much of a boost, also, are you sure you have SLI enabled everywhere it needs to be? I believe there is a way to get a game to show the SLI logo on boot if its enabled.
m
l
February 7, 2011 12:06:46 AM

Im basically only going to be running Rift atm.. My current system runs it rather well I havent been below 30 fps but I havent been out of the starting zone. So im looking to overkill the game. I may just build an entirely new system and sell the one I have. Im going to put some components together and post them on here for everyone to critique
m
l
!