No boot\BIOS screen

cobra351

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
so, upon starting my PC(custom) with windows 7, there is no display, not even the BIOS. i tried to switch the monitor display from the video card(ati radeon 9200se) to the on-board video, thinking that the video card might be dead, but it's the same- no display. i know for a fact that the PC is not even attempting to boot into windows, as i can't do a shutdown by pressing the "power" button the keyboard(which i usually can do, from the user accounts login screen). the lights turn on, and the CD-ROM drives work.

is the power supply fried? how can i go about testing to see what the problem is?

popatim

Titan
when it used to work, did it beep before loading windows? most pc's give a single beep to let you know that a quick check the system did didn't find any faults.

If it did used to beep then leave it on for a good while and see if it eventually emits a series of beep. this is a beep code used for diagnosing problems. Some of the beeps will be brief (called short) while others will be long. It also may emit a continous beep. Anyways let us know what you find.

cobra351

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
nope, it did not beep before when it was working, and it certainly isn't beeping now. what did happen back when it was working was, when i turned on the power strip that my PC, monitor, printer, etc. is connected to, all the lights on the PC would come on for a split second(a sort of "power test", if you will). it no longer does than when i turn on the power strip, which leads me to believe it may be a power issue.