Generic PSU Question

dencio

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Hello Tomshardware community, I plan to buy my first PC but I'm quite stuck in the PSU area. Here is the link where of the PSU choices http://enigma-phil.com.ph/index.php/pricelist As you can see I don't have a huge range of choices when it comes to PSU.

Every PSU is generic, and people say they don't deliver their advertised power. If I buy a 700w instead of a 500w PSU will that help? Or will it change nothing?

dencio

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Sorry about that. Fixed the link,

Lets see

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 840 3.2ghz

MOBO: Asrock 880gm-LE

GPU: Sapphire HD5770 1GB/128bit

RAM: Kingston 2GB x 2 DDR3

let me know if I need to add more info

Uther39

Distinguished
Never ever go generic with a new build as your risking frying all your lovely new components, Minimum PSU wattage is 291w so at least a 350w PSU of good quality,

Heres a good one that wont break the bank

CA-034-CS_400.jpg

Corsair Builder Series CX 500W ATX Power Supply = £39.99 / $65.92

I recognize a few of the units they offer, the huntkey green series is well known for its explosive performances in reviews(this isnt a pun they really do explode), even the best huntkey unit is still only average so i would steer clear of them as a brand. As said above the HEC Cougar 550W is probably your best option with your limited selection, HEC isnt great but their cougar line up is decent.

4745454b

Titan
Even the best units can explode under the right circumstances. I believe the cougar is an average unit. So assuming you don't run it close to its max output or you don't have some massive power spike due to lightening you should be fine. I wouldn't have suggested the unit if it was going to cause you grief.

Your system is fairly low power, I think you will be OK. Even the best PSU will fry if the delivery person drops it on the way to your house. Your system will be well below 550W at max, even if you did a significant OC. Good luck and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS