Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sandy bridge computer random Freezes

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2011 5:12:42 PM

So I built this computer recently hoping for the best... but I keep having strange problems with it.

I fixed all the problems and now I have a new one.

I get random freezes (computer completely locks up and not even the mouse will move).

It doesn't happen when im doing the same thing each time (one time it was while i was surfing the net. the other was when i was just on my desktop, and just now when i was in MSI afterburner.

I monitor my temps and my cpu temp is around 30c and the vid temp is around 30c as well.

My build is:

2x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible ...

Gigabyte p67a-ud3 mobo

MSI n460gtx hawk

i have not overclocked anything...

please help me
February 5, 2011 5:13:48 PM

oh and this JUST started happening ( i havent changed anything in the computer)

and this happens about every other day now
Score
February 11, 2011 1:44:21 AM

Anyone? It just froze again and this is after pulling the battery out of the mobo and resetting CMOS.

Also the mouse and keyboard lights are still on, but nothing responds. no sound no onscreen mouse movement... nothing
Score
Related resources
February 25, 2011 4:07:14 PM

This is happening on many sandy bridge based laptops with nvidia graphics cards (maybe others?) as well. I'm sure you built yours just fine. There is a halt on production of sandy bridge processors because they are aware of "quality concerns". The issues are only supposed to affect sata ports 2-5 but I suspect all the sata ports are affected and it is causing data from the hard drive to be disrupted at random times. Have to wait for recalls and get the hardware replaced.
Score
February 26, 2011 11:37:12 AM

Where did you read they put a halt on production?
Score
March 5, 2011 10:16:54 AM

I'm also getting similar freezes, usually whilst playing games.

I have an i7 2600k with a GTX 570 Nvidia graphics card on Win 7 Home premium.

It's a fresh build around an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard. Everything is up-to-date with the firmware and I am only using the working SATA 6 ports.

The freezes are quite random and as described, the whole PC locks up and you have to soft-reset. I can see nothing in the event logs to help me discover what's going on.
Score
March 11, 2011 10:58:19 PM

I have the exact same problem, with the same Mobo, Processor, and graphics card(except I have 2 in SLI) as Starstreak.

The freezes occur randomly during ANY activity. I have run a moderate, but fairly decent/extensive set of burn in tests, and had no problems with them.

Unfortunately, in my case the crashes slowly increased in frequency. After the last one my monitor is no longer receiving input, and my computer turns on, restarts on it's own once, then continues running. I can't get the monitor to display anything no matter what I try, so I'm pretty lost here.

I am not using any of the supposedly effected SATA ports.

Finally, I should have the replacement motherboard from the recall by Monday or Tuesday, so I really hope it is the motherboard that is the issue.
Score
March 15, 2011 9:23:05 AM

The replacement motherboard fixed all my problems. So I guess more than just the SATA 3.0 GB/s ports were bad after all, or the board(s) I/we received were just plain old faulty.
Score
March 16, 2011 1:11:03 AM

I just replaced 2 1155 motherboards and I'm still having screen freezes on both of the new boards... This is really driving me crazy... I can not figure out what is causing it...

My build (x2):

- Intel Core i7-2600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- ASUS P8H67-M EVO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67
- Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5" 64GB SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
- ASUS DVD Drive
- COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper
- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RS850-AMBAJ3-US 850W
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
March 16, 2011 12:44:27 PM

I'm having weird freezes also on my i5 sandy bridge also. I haven't received my replacement ASUS P8P67-M Pro MB yet though.

were did you see the story on the CPU's having issues?
Score
March 16, 2011 3:15:02 PM

Hey guys,

I was having the exact same issue on my i7 2600K. Completely random screen freezes and occasional BSODs.

I updated my video drivers and flashed the bios with the latest update and my problems have disappeared. I did both on the same reboot, so i'm not exactly sure which one did the trick, so try both and maybe it'll work for you too.

I haven't received my replacement yet, but at least i can work in peace.

Good luck!

Edit: Forgot to mention i did this 2 weeks ago and not a single incident since.

Edit2: Argh! Forgot to mention my mobo: Intel BOXDH67GD LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Score
April 10, 2011 10:57:19 AM

Hi,

Same problem for me too with Corsair Vengeance, 2x4Gb CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9. Already had rev B3 board and, likewise, was driving me crazy. Not a heat issue, changed PSU, upated BIOS, reinstalled Intel Video Drivers, tested memory with Memtest86, finally tried upping DRAM voltage a little... no joy. Extensive BurnIn/Prime95 tests caused/found no problems.

Cus its for a client... had to sort it... ended up replacing DRAM with [cheapo] Crucial, on Asus QVL for the MB, and prob has gone away.

This may be of interest to you? ...

Typical... on morning Crucial being delivered googled 'Vengeance Command Rate' and found this interesting:

http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=92374

Now P8H67 sets the Vengeance Command Rate at 1T from SPD... could it be that Command Rate needs to be be 2T??? [I noted that the Crucial uses 2T] I did short test using 2T on the Vengeance and seemed ok but not gonna do prolonged test cus the build is shipping out tomorrow with the Crucial. Perhaps someone may be interested in doing a prolonged test with 2T?

Cheers.

[Asus P8H67-M-Pro rev B3, Intel i5 2500, 4x2Gb Crucial CT25664BA1339, Corsair CX 500W, Seagate MomentusXT 500Gb, WD RE4 500Gb, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit]
Score
April 18, 2011 4:15:46 AM

I get random freezes (computer completely locks up and not even the mouse will move.

I was aware of this recall on the sandy bridge chip set 1155 mother boards. but i bought my board after the recall. what going on help !

Intel® Desktop Board DH67CL B3 1155 , i5 2400 , 8GB Kit (2x4GB) PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 ,western blue 6gb 1t hard drive , windows 7 64bit .

I think i fixed my problem!
I updated my video drivers and updated the bios with the latest update and my problems have disappeared. I did both on the same reboot, so i'm not exactly sure which one did the trick, so try both and maybe it'll work for you too.
Score
April 19, 2011 3:12:25 PM

Got the same problem. My MoBo: Intel Media Series DH67CL iH67 S1155.

Intel doesn't support my model. YEAH :/ 

Next time AMD again. But for now, I have to solve this problem in some way.

I have already done following:

- update BIOS
- switched SATA Ports
- Switched PSU
- Updated ALL Drivers
- All Windows 7 x64 Updates installed

Nothing helped so far. If ANYONE IN THIS WORLD knows about it, PLEASE BE SO KIND AND POST us :-)
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...
your desperated Intel user <3

EDIT: My System Configuration:

Intel i7-2600
Intel DH67CL
8GB TeamGroup DDR3-1333
MSI Geforce GTX 550 Ti
2x WD5000AAKX Blue SATA3 in Raid1 mode
Score
April 24, 2011 5:17:52 AM

Exact same freezes as described above....Thankfully found this link before I went crazy. What is it we're supposed to be doing?

Intel i7-2600
Asus P8P67
16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3
GeForce 9800 GTX+ & before GT430
Score
April 27, 2011 2:43:25 PM

So, I'm assuming that by the silence, everyone has found solutions to their issues? The thing is, I'm not a computer tech guy, just a guy who depends on his computer for work.

I'm a little lost, and not sure what direction to go in this. Should I return the mother board and processor? Pick something else up....Maybe go back to AMD?

Should I spend the money to hire a tech guy to come in and diagnose the computer?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
April 27, 2011 7:43:15 PM

BMACstudio said:
So, I'm assuming that by the silence, everyone has found solutions to their issues? The thing is, I'm not a computer tech guy, just a guy who depends on his computer for work.

I'm a little lost, and not sure what direction to go in this. Should I return the mother board and processor? Pick something else up....Maybe go back to AMD?

Should I spend the money to hire a tech guy to come in and diagnose the computer?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

try this forum:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26...

one excerpt:
First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website, http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.
From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.

Score
April 29, 2011 12:47:35 AM

Thanks for the info! Did some digging yesterday, and went with this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1583213&page=4

Disabled C3/C6 and PLL overvoltage...When I have more time, I'll work further, but something in this combination stopped the freezes.
Score
May 3, 2011 11:17:27 PM

Intel® Desktop Board DH67CL B3 1155 , i5 2400 , 8GB Kit (2x4GB) PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 ,western blue 6gb 1t hard drive , windows 7 64bit .

I think i fixed my problem!
I updated my video drivers and updated the bios with the latest update and my problems have disappeared. I did both on the same reboot, so i'm not exactly sure which one did the trick, so try both and maybe it'll work for you too.
Score
February 3, 2012 10:33:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!