Need cooling solution for 8800GT (XXX) and 9800 GT in same case.

bseery

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I am running 2 cards, an 8800 GT XXX from XFX and a 9800 GT from XFX. They are running in SLI and run great.

However the 8800's fan is a single speed 2 wire fan - 100% fan speed 100% of the time. I want to change out the cooling solution and figure I will do the same for the 9800 so they both match.

So, I need a GPU cooler that will fit both a 8800 GTand 9800 GT.

The 9800 GT is in the top PCI-e slot and I have 2 blank slots below that. There is a PCI and a PCIE slot between. Then comes the 8800 GT, but I only have 1 slot's worth of space below the 8800 GT, after that you run out of space and hit the motherboard.
So, what I ever I use most only take up 1 additional slot of space as well.

Ideas ?

You will not find a single slot solution unless you were to decide to go liquid cooling so your best options are the Zalman VF series as they are great coolers and dependable. The VF700 I wouldn't bother with but it will cooler a 65nm G92 gt just fine. The VF900 is a all copper cooler like the VF1000 and bother are fantastic coolers but aren't cheap. I got two 9800gt in sli on my secondary rig and the coolers get the job done plus they are silent. PS the VF1000 can cool much hotter running cards and used one on my 8800gtx.

bseery

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I was looking at either the Zalman VF1000 for the 9800 and 8800 with the added ram sink (ZM-RHS88) or going with a pair of the Accelero s1 rev 2 from Artic Cooling.

The problem with both that I see is that with the 8800 in slot 2 (counting up from the bottom) and the heat sink taking up slot 1, it leaves very little room between the heatsink and the top of the power supply unit (mine is mounted at the bottom of the case). I wouldn't be able to use the Artic Cooling's add-on turbo module as reccommeneded for the 8800 GT. It also would leave the Zalman VF1000 with very little breathing room.
I figured that maybe I would try the dual Accelero's with a fan on the end pointing down the length of each one.

My other choice is move the 8800 up to slot 5 and use a large heatsink / fan combo on that and a slimmer design on the 9800.

Any other ideas would be very welcome.

The RHs88 will only mount on G80 cards, I wish people would do more research before making the mistake of buying one which i also got on my 8800gtx but mine was like $7 with all the goodies :)

The Accelero isn't in my taste and have more respect for my gear than to use one.

The Zalman Vf1000 is a dual slot and will work just fine even when it is up against another with only one slot to spare. Also the VF900 can be used in tighter spaces ware air flow isn't that great alongside with an other fan. Both coolers are silent and will made plus the fans don't stick out thus avoiding a lot of problems.

bseery

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

It has the exact same GPU as the 9800, and this one is overclocked from factory.

For a 2 year old card, the 8800 GT XXX Alpha Dog will hold it's own. Problem is that the fan is LOUD and runs 100% all the time.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

don't want to hurt amd fan's feeling but this is the thread that people come for solution for his card without buying new one. plus 5670 is a joke and never be as good as 9800gt. more like in the same level as 9600gt. only 5750 outperform 8800/9800gt.

zalman's cooler require very good air flow enthusiast level case and well case fan setting configuration. since he has sli setup the only issue is how to get the hot air out of case. but since he demand to be single slot i don't think there's other way to do.

I smell troll :non:

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

is not trolling... some people just have to post something that is not even relate to this article...the client had mentoin he had cooling problem with his 8800gt sli setup and need to find a solution and some one had to jump out and said "5670" is better while the benchmark shows only 5750 is in the same category g92. plus what is he going to do? throw that two card away just to get a amd card or non related gts 250?

bseery

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
The stock cooler on the 9800 GT that I have is decent. It runs hotter than most want, and throttles to 100% too late, but it does eventually keep the temps in check.

The fan on the 8800 runs at 100% all the time, and when the computer is at idle its the only thing I can hear running --- from 2 rooms away.

I might just move the 8800 up to the top slot, put a large heatsink fan combo on that and then move the 9800 down and use the stock cooler.

I don't mind the system being loud when I am playing -- I expect the ALL the fans to be rocking at 100% then -- but then I have gunshots, artillery shells and explosions to cover up the noise of the computer. When I am done playing and it's at idle, I want the thing to be quiet.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

ok here's few solution i can provide to you:

1. take heatsink off from your card and clean it with air gun. it may be cause by dust.

2. get pair of pci fan like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309 , install them between two of the sli cards. it will suck and blow the hot air out of the case more efficient than stand along heatsink.

3 buy a new case or mod the case if the air flow is just as bad as i mention in early post.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

why dont you recommend higher model instead? 5670...it is more like downgrade from 8800gt rather then upgrade and dx11 feature? are you sure that card can run dx11 without major lag?. plus the op never mention he wants to change the card. merely just argue his card is heating that's all.

do not change the subject.....