Sign in with
Your question

Corsair XMS3 and Vengeance not compatible?

Last response: in Memory
January 8, 2012 2:12:23 PM

Hello,
I have a Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 motherboard with dual channel support. I started with a 4 gig kit of xms3 and purchased a 8 gig kit of Vengeance. Both work on their own, but when I try to put them all in (the 2 4 gig chips in the first channel and the 2 2 gig chips in the second channel) I crash like a 2 year old in an airplane. My bios is set correctly (dual channel enable, auto speed) and detects all 4 chips as does windows. Everything is fine until I try to play a game and crash crash crash. These should be compatible, shouldn't they? I don't see why this would happen?
If it matters I'm using an i5 2500k with a gtx 560 ti and a corsair tx 800.
a c 347 } Memory
January 8, 2012 2:38:50 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

I see a lot of issues with XMS3, and the best hope is to 'try' to manually set the RAM in the BIOS. In general it's not a good idea to mix-match RAM especially different densities and/or IC's.

Please post the EXACT sets you have and I'll post BIOS settings to 'try' to fix the problem. If it corrects the problem then IMO test the RAM with both Memtest86+ and Prime95 + Blend test for a couple of hours.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 8, 2012 2:42:36 PM

Yeah, mixing RAM is never reliable. It's very finicky. Anyway, if you're not doing crazy media stuff (Maya, Final Cut), 8gb is plenty. No current game will max that out.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2012 3:04:46 PM

I know, kajabla, even final cut doesn't usually. I bought the 4 gigs first not paying attention (I thought it was 2 4 gig chips) cuz I was a noob when I starting building this machine. Now that I've been in and out of it 30 times in 3 months putting different things in and taking things out, I finally got the sense I should've had in the beginning of what I want. It's my own fault for jumping into it without all the knowledge I needed. I'd have a gtx 570 and an i7 2600k with a better mobo in there lol. I got the 8 gigs of Vengeance for 36 dollars too... I should've just bought another set but I was trying to save the ram I had.
m
l
January 8, 2012 3:08:56 PM

jaquith, I'm still a noob at benchmarking and prime 95 and all of the smart guy settings in bios and stuff. I ran Prime 95 once on my system when I first built it and my stock intel CPU cooler couldn't cut it. It got to 80 degrees c when I stopped it in fear of damaging the processor. I was also running battlefield at 78 degrees. I bought a cooler master hyper 212 evo and run at about 52 now, but I haven't run Prime 95 since. I think I'll just sell the 4 gigs if I can and wait for the vengeance to go on sale again and buy another 8, but like kajabla said I don't really need it, it's just nice to be a glutton.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
January 8, 2012 3:31:16 PM

The BIOS wouldn't be hard to try, I post pretty clear settings. Your call.

In any case -- Good Luck! :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
January 8, 2012 4:04:06 PM

I have 6g XMS3 and wrote to Corsair about what model to buy if I wanted to add another 6, as my model is discontinued (X58 platform). They advised me to buy a new kit in the size I wanted since even those kits close to mine in specs. are not recommended. Even small differences can cause problems and often the differences can not be adjusted out in the bios.
m
l
a b } Memory
January 8, 2012 8:31:06 PM

Yep.
m
l
January 26, 2013 3:31:38 AM

jaquith said:
The BIOS wouldn't be hard to try, I post pretty clear settings. Your call.

In any case -- Good Luck! :) 

Hello Jaquith, I would really appreciate some help. I have a Asus MB P8Z68-V LX; i5 2500K Sandy Bridge and Corsair 1866C9 Vengence 8GB (2x4). These all work fine.

on 24.05.12 I purchased Corsair DDR3 2000 8GB (2x4) XMS3 and installed these also and after a while it crashes. I have since tried all different combinations including using only the XMS3 and the PC still crashes.

I have since removed the XMS3 and the PC is fine, it just seems a waste of money if I am unable to use this RAM.

Raffiek
m
l
!