mobo:ASRock A55M-HVS

i got new mobo and i got a screen that says select source:
1.generate the achi driver diskette for windows xp
2.generate the raid driver diskette for windows xp
3.generate the achi driver diskette for windows xp64
4.generate the raid driver diskette for windows xp64

cpu:AMD Athlon II X4 631

my o/s is windows xp
i think its 32 is it based on cpu or what?

the mobo bios doesnt show anything for harddrive
28 answers Last reply
More about recognizing hard drive
  1. I'm a little confused here, are you trying to install XP?! If you're installing XP on SATA then you need XP SP2 or preferably XP SP3 installation disks. Then IMO install using SATA -> IDE, install the OS and then install the SATA AHCI drivers --- then change SATA -> AHCI. Otherwise you'll need a F6 Floppy or need to create a Custom Installer using http://www.nliteos.com/

Here's a legitimate ISO copy from Microsoft Windows XP SP3, you'll need your Key -> http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25129

If it's some other problem please explain. Thx
  2. its a old harddrive with xp on it but it doesnt seem to work
    when i go into bois i dont even see the harddrive all i see connected to the sata ports is the dvd rom drive

settings:

sata controller enabled
    sata mode ide mode
    sata ide combined mode enabled

boot option #1 (dvd rom)
    boot option #2 built in efi shell
  3. also i set hard drive jumper to cable setting, master, and slave and nothing

is there i diagram of how to install the adapter?

i got it in the hdd then the sata crod from that to mobo
    and i got a power core going to it
    is that all?
  4. SATA doesn't use (Master/Slave) jumpers. Further, mixing that is if you are IDE HDD's with SATA HDD's can yield odd behavior. However, in the BIOS is a separate matter, generally if the SATA drives, native SATA only, don't show-up then try different SATA ports and if using older IDE (ribbon) drives try disconnecting.

What I mean by native, for example newer MOBO's often have multiple SATA controllers but only the native SATA will show up in the BIOS e.g. Intel + Marvell.

--

I just looked at your MOBO -> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=A55M-HVS&cat=Specifications

Oddly, the 1st SATA Port is in the bottom-left ; use SATA Port 1 for the OS and SATA Port 5 for a DVD.

5 | 6
    3 | 4
    1 | 2

Also, in the Manual "SATA ODD driver on SATA_5 and SATA_6 ports." ODD = DVD.
  5. Oddly, the 1st SATA Port is in the bottom-left ; use SATA Port 1 for the OS and SATA Port 5 for a DVD.

5 | 6
    3 | 4
    1 | 2

what do you mean?
    i have the hdd plugged into sata_1 and the dvd rom plugged into sata_2

and the dvd rom shows up

Also, in the Manual "SATA ODD driver on SATA_5 and SATA_6 ports." ODD = DVD

what do you mean by this^^^^
  6. I briefly read the manual and it recommends the DVD should be installed in the SATA Ports 5 or 6 especially when using RAID/AHCI. This is pretty common. Your manual goes on and on and on some more about setting-up the SATA; I suggest you carefully read the XP sections.
  7. jaquith said:
    I read briefly the manual and it recommends the DVD should be installed in the SATA Ports 5 or 6 especially when using RAID/AHCI. This is pretty common. Your manual go on and on and on some more about setting-up the SATA.

so i plugged the dvd rom in 5/6 with hdd in slot 1

nothing

what should the jumper on the hdd be set to?
  8. The only reference to 'Jumpers' is the Clear CMOS; see page 23.

Otherwise NO jumpers!
    "Onboard headers and connectors are NOT jumpers. Do NOT place
    jumper caps over these headers and connectors. Placing jumper caps
    over the headers and connectors will cause permanent damage of the
    motherboard!"

On SATA drives for your set-up then don't use any Jumpers.

9. here you can kinda see how its plugged in like i described

im not touching mobo jumpers just the harddrive ones
    i have a ide harddrive with adapter (as seen in picture)

you can see the hdd in slot one and the dvd in slot 6
    and the ide adapter at the bottom left
  10. Remove the HDD/DVD Jumpers; see Default above.
  11. jaquith said:
    Remove the HDD/DVD Jumpers; see Default above.

i did that

still not detected :pfff:
  12. Then with them off, Clear CMOS use the Jumper method ; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0
  13. jaquith said:
    Then with them off, Clear CMOS use the Jumper method ; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

its a new mobo does this matter?
    ill try it
  14. Clear CMOS only wipes-out bad or corrupted settings. So it won't do a thing other than possibly solve the issues. To verify the CMOS was successfully cleared both the Date and Time will be wiped-out and you'll need to set them. The next thing is to update your BIOS to the latest version.

I assume the HDD works on another PC, IMO try it to make sure it's 'good'.
  15. jaquith said:
    Clear CMOS only wipes-out bad or corrupted settings. So it won't do a thing other than possibly solve the issues. To verify the CMOS was successfully cleared both the Date and Time will be wiped-out and you'll need to set them. The next thing is to update your BIOS to the latest version.

I assume the HDD works on another PC, IMO try it to make sure it's 'good'.

the hdd does works,this is s upgrade to system.

how do i update the bios?
    do i use the cd that came with it?
    is there a link you can show me to put it on usb drive or what?

ty for all your help currently :hello:
  16. ASRock Instant Flash - http://www.asrock.com/feature/InstantFlash/index.asp

Download the BIOS (use Flash Drive) -> http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=A55M-HVS&o=BIOS ; version 1.20 11/8/2011 Instant Flash 2.43MB
  17. ok. what does download the bios do?
    it shows it already in the user friendly format where you can use a mouse.

how do i install windows xp on this
    i have the disk but now i cant set it to boot from dvd drive.
    i need to format the hdd i think thats why it not recognizing it.
    but i need to get the windows xp disc to work 1st

any help?
  18. should i install something thats bootable from usb 1st?
    like linux, then install windows xp??
  19. Updating the BIOS doesn't require a working OS. It does require a 'working PC' kinda like the one you're using now to download and move the BIOS file to the Flash Drive. Move the Flash Drive to the ASRock A55M-HVS insert into an open USB 2.0 port at the MOBO's rear I/O, boot into the BIOS and review this link that I posted above -> http://www.asrock.com/feature/InstantFlash/index.asp

ASRock Instant Flash is all about your ability to access the ASRock's BIOS.
  20. ok so i did the f6 for flash then randomly cuz i had the cd in the drive it starts installing windows xp :bounce:

but then it says cant find any hard disks

any help :(
  21. Okay if you did the F6 and updated the BIOS. The the last reaming thing is IF you already have an OS installed on the HDD it would need to be formatted.

Just because the XP installer starts has nothing to do with the HDD 'being present' it just means you left the XP Installer in the DVD and the DVD booted.

Is the HDD AFTER installing BIOS 1.2 showing up in the BIOS. If not I assume you saw the PM (private message) answer I sent you...
  22. jaquith said:
    Okay if you did the F6 and updated the BIOS. The the last reaming thing is IF you already have an OS installed on the HDD it would need to be formatted.

Just because the XP installer starts has nothing to do with the HDD 'being present' it just means you left the XP Installer in the DVD and the DVD booted.

Is the HDD AFTER installing BIOS 1.2 showing up in the BIOS. If not I assume you saw the PM (private message) answer I sent you...

i couldnt update bios i did the flash 1st and this happened.
    should i exit setup?

then install bios then format hdd(how to also)
  23. 1. BIOS update to version 1.2 (see guide above)
    2. See if HDD shows-up in the BIOS:
    A. Yes = Install XP
    B. No = Contact ASRock
  24. jaquith said:
    1. BIOS update to version 1.2 (see guide above)
    A. Yes = Install XP
    B. No = Contact ASRock

in the xp installation it says to repair via recovery console.
    do you think i can format through that?
  25. Which HDD you are having? Check with Hiren's Boot CD ( www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd ) for any issue if your HDD is having with.
  26. jaquith said:
    1. BIOS update to version 1.2 (see guide above)
    A. Yes = Install XP
    B. No = Contact ASRock

it wont let me flash.
    ima try to fromat via the setup cd
  27. HDD doesn't show bios. Its wrong concept.

Why don't you try checking with Hiren's Boot CD?
  28. Contact ASRock.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory SATA Hard Drives Windows XP