AMD Phenom X4 9600(2.3GHz)

Memory

3GB DDR2 667

Hard Drive

500GB SATA 7200rpm

Optical Drive 1

18X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology

Graphics

EVGA GeForce 8800GT (w/ 512MB on board memory)

High Definition Audio and Analog/Digital TV Tuner w/ 3-D Comb (PCIe) as well as a digital media manger so you can easily read many types of memory cards. The computer is clean and taken care of and has just be reset to factory settings. Scores and 5.8 out of a possible 5.9 on vista windows experience index. Comes with the Operating system recovery disk along with a keyboard and mouse. Willing to swap graphic card to a 4650 and take 50dollars off the price.

Price: $400.00

*I figured with the price here, I'd have enough to upgrade the GPU.

Thoughts, opinions?

haiden

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hm, can't believe I missed answering any of that. Thanks.

I am awaiting details on that, actually. I did however find something else:

INTEL E6500 Core 2 Duo
ASUS P5N-32 SLI
4 GB Corsair DDR 2 RAM
Corsair 650 Watt modular power supply
BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 640 MB w/ component HD out
1 250gb 5200rpm Harddrive
1 500gb 5200rpm Harddrive
Linksys Wireless Adapter
2 Ethernet Ports
8 USB Ports 2 USB ports on front panel
Antec 900 case
DVD-R/W

... or maybe this, for $500:

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS (NOT 32 Bit)

A nice black mid-tower case with silver accents

400 watt ATX power supply

Quad Core 2.4Ghz Processor

HUGE 1TB SATA drive

4GB of DDR2 (double data rate) 800Mhz memory

DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

nVidia GeForce Video (Add $50 for 1GB PCI-e nVidia w/VGA, DVI, & HDMI)

6 Channel High Def Audio with Front & Rear Connections

6 USB Ports (2 Front & 4 Rear)

4 SATA Ports (3 GB/s)

Raid Supported Motherboard

Additional PCI slots for future expansion

Was thinking that w/out the OS, I could save some money. As well as not needing anything like the keyboard, etc. With all that savings, I could possibly get a better GPU. Haha sorry for all this, just want to give people as much as I can on this.

haiden

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
WR2: Not so much the sound card. I figured any sound card would work. As for the tv tuner.. I have no idea, lol sorry. I just want to play some cool games on good settings, and watch movies, maybe run some really good progs. Right now I have a crappy EMachine.

If that 2nd CPU is the Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB (which it probably is)
I'm liking that a lot better, except for the 8800 GTS video card and slow, older hard drives.

Are these used systems?

How would you run the system without an OS?

haiden

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hi, WR2. Thanks once again.

If I went with a brand such as the HP, would it be possible to upgrade anything? I don't want to get something if I can't upgrade. One of the systems I believe is used, the other will be built for me, the higher priced I believe. I sent the person an Email asking if I could skip the OS, and use that money towards a better GPU.

As for resolution, I have an Element 32" hdtv that gets up to 1920x1080.

haiden

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
WR@ (Do you have a name, or shall I refer to you as WR2? Lol, just feels weird typing that. Its like, I'm conversing with... I dunno.. C-P30 lmao.

ANYHOOT,

WR2: I just got an E-Mail from the gentleman who is selling the first pc I mentioned, for $300.

He is telling me it is a Gateway fx7020 ~ Could you please give me your opinion on this? Man, I can't thank you enough for helping me out here. This forum is AWESOME, and I do appreciate any help. :)

I will most likely use this forum as a guide, when I build my first machine, which won't be until next spring, probably, when I have the funds. For now , though, I am just TOO impatient! I LOVE technology, and want the very best I can get, with the little I can afford, like we all do lol.

Man, this is tough. SO many options! I asked people on another forum, and most told me that I could not get a build, something worthwhile, for under $700. I find this VERY hard to believe. Perhaps they are just thinking more on what they would get, and not considering, as I mentioned to them, that I cannot afford too much right now. Hence the need to get a machine I can upgrade over time.

I have had others E-Mail me, and it seems that some may be trying to take advantage of my lack-of-knowledge. Little do they know, I am a part of this site. :sol:

WR2 is fine for the forums. After all this time if I saw anything else I'm not sure I'd know a comment was meant for me.

Looks like the FX7020 is about a 3yr old PC based on the reviews I found.
The original Phenom CPUs were nothing to shout about even back then. Hearing things like 'Phenom not so Phenomenal', a pain to overclock and a bad value for money.

2008 CPU reviews:
THG: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-9600-black-edition,1767.html
NeoSeeker: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/phenom_9600/
ExtremeTech: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2226948,00.asp

FX7020 reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx7020/4505-3118_7-32815139.html
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2271270,00.asp
http://computershopper.com/desktops/reviews/gateway-fx7020-desktop
http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/gateway-fx7020-review/
http://compreviews.about.com/od/maindesk/gr/GatewayFX7020.htm

For sale on Amazon @ $325:
http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-FX7020-DVD-RAM-Premium-Monitor/dp/B001238CJ0

Here is where the 8800GT ranks in terms of gaming power.

The age of the system is a concern. While it's a quad CPU I personally would prefer a faster clocked dual core.
I can't recommend this system but I hope you have enough info in the reviews above to make an informed decision yourself.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
This is Haiden.

***SORRY FOR THE 2ND USER NAME. I am now going to delete the user name "lncognito". ***

LoL. You people must be so annoyed with me by now. I just can't stop looking around for good deals.

I may settle with this, from a seller on EBay with 99.9% approval rating. Free shipping, free insurance... etc. But yeah, here's what I came up with. All I did was exchange the GPU, PSU, and the case.

Linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400193397377

System Configuration :
AMD 64 CPU AM3 : AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0GHz (Dual Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache

AMD 64 CPU Fans : Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan

AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards : MSI GF615M-P33, nVidia 6150, Onboard Video, GB LAN

DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR3 1066 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards : ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB PCI Express 16x dual head, DVI, HDMI

Hard Drives : 500.0GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2, UDMA 300 8m cache

DVD Recorders : LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW

Sound Cards : Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Network Cards : Ethernet network adapter (onboard)

Cases : Cooler Master Elite 310 black, Side Window, front USB

Power Supply : Logisys 480W ATX Power Supply

If this gets your approval, for a starter gaming pc, I'll take it! I am so sick of seeing all what I am seeing, the potential. I must act soon! lol (Feel free ONLY if you can be bothered, to adjust this!) I am really liking the case. Yes, it is not all that crucial for a starter build, but it looks pretty. :(

A much better CPU/GPU combo. 2 fast CPU cores and a decent mid-range gaming card.

Not too happy with that sketch $20 PSU. But the only option I would have suggested added $46 to the overall cost for the Antec Basiq 500W.
LOGISYS 480W @ Newegg - there are enough decent customer reviews (79% 4+5 Eggs) to make a guess that PSU is going to be 'ok' for you.
MSI GF615M-P33 Motherboard had only 75% 4+5 Eggs customer ratings.

$554 isn't too bad, considering installation labor + shipping to you, etc, etc. The guy is probably making ~$125 or so, maybe a bit more if he has a merchant account and gets things at lower prices than you or I can.

LOGISYS 480W $20
Cooler Master Elite 310 $40
LG 22x DVD Burner $18
Hitachi 500GB HDD $45
Radeon HD 5750 $90
4GB RAM $40
Spire Kestrel-King II CPU cooler $9
MSI GF615M-P33 $55
Phenom II X2 545 3.0GHz $76
cost of parts $393

Did not see a copy of Win7 on the list.
That's about an extra $99 if your buy it or $119 if you buy it from the store and have it installed.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I wasn't sure if the GPU I picked would be good with all that.

Thanks once again, WR2. You've been great help! Now all I have to do is come up with $200 in 2 days and I'm all set. =)

No question about that one.
Better CPU... nice bump up in the GPU. The SBM $500 Athlon II X3 445 & GTX 460.

With the price decreases on the GTX 460 and other parts you can probably drop the cost of parts below $500.
Double check the prices and look around for other similar items that might have lower prices.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
OK, so the $500 build it is!

I was actually hoping to get a good looking case, like the one I posted (Cooler Master HAF-912), but I suppose I'll have to make due here. It just looks awesome, imo. Heck, maybe I still can go with it. I'll look for pricing on it. The case in the TH $500 build is what, $75. Hm.

EDIT: AWESOME! The Cooler Master HAF-912 is $15 cheaper than the $500 build! But which would be the wiser case to go with? HM, Looks like I have more looking to do. =P

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Oh, right. So it was. Hm...

Oh and I like this case you linked to! Looks very nice indeed. OK, I have the funds! lol, I need to hurry and find all these parts. Ugh, this is going to stress me out lol

You can usually find a motherboard manual online at the MFGR's site to download and study even before it arrives.
You can find build it guides in the stick topics at the top of the forums and even youtube build videos.

Spend enough time reading the manuals and installation guides till you relax.
Then have fun building it.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I hope you're available right now! I plan to run up to the store very soon to put $500 on my pre-paid debit card. I am told NewEgg processes orders within 1-2 days, and I opted for the 3 day delivery from UPS. Please let me know if I forgot anything for my first build??? I am SO nervous I don't want to mess up and destroy my first build. I am pushing it with even spending this $500. :( Thanks for all your help bud!