Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
So, I've recently put together this here build:

Mobo: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6
RAM: (1) 4GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1333mHz
PSU: Rosewill Bronze 1000w
GPU: (CRAPPY!) Radeon 9250

Anyway, I had Windows 7 previously installed on a 200GB IDE HDD. I put it into the new case with all of the new stuff then booted. BIOS loads fine, Windows begins to start, gets about halfway through the Windows 7 animation, freezes, reboots, and then gives me the option for Windows Startup repair. Running Startup repair doesn't do anything. So I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7. I plugged in an IDE DVD drive, put in the disc, set the boot priority to the drive, and I get the message to insert bootable media. Nothing will work, so I try a different drive, same thing happens. I test the drive in another computer and it reads the disc fine. Lastly, I try doing a External HDD USB install of Windows 7. I get the same exact message! Maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong. Should I format the External HDD and try that route? Does my mobo not like the IDE stuff? I've used a USB stick to update to the latest BIOS... I'm somewhat frustrated with this so any help is greatly appreciated!

I would suggest try formatting the internal HDD before you do the fresh install. After all, you will need to format it anyways as part of the installation if you don't want any conflicts with the previous installation.
I personally use a bootable CD with Killdisk on it, I zero the HDD that I install Windows on (or the partition that I install it on, in case the HDD is partitioned) and take it from there. Never failed me yet. If you need details on how to do that, let me know.

addmanrcace

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Well, my problem is really just being able to install Windows. And I haven't been able to get DVDs to work in either drive. But CDs do work... Windows 7 just doesn't fit. You say Killdisk on a CD? I am unfamiliar with Killdisk, so please let me know. And I do plan on formatting the internal drive when I install Windows. I just can't get to that point.

From a different PC go to
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
and download the free suite. It has the tools to make a bootable CD.
After that, you can boot from that CD and from the choose to erase (or kill) a disk/partition. If should show you the HDDs that are currently connected to your system (internal and external - make sure you pick the correct HDD, you don't want to zap another one). If you want to erase the whole HDD, select it's root (or you can pick just a partition off of it). Then follow the wizard, it is pretty easy. this will write zeroes on the HDD, restoring the HDD to it's factory-clean condition.

addmanrcace

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Yes, I have set the boot to the master DVD drive... and it will work for CDs, just not for DVDs. And for Killdisk... that shouldn't make much of a difference right? I am going to format the HDD anyway, just as part of the Windows install, and having a formatted HDD won't make the other installation methods work. Or so I would think.

addmanrcace

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Okay, I just tried booting in safe mode, and the same thing occurs. It gets about halfway through loading the files, freezes, and restarts. I'm gonna use Killdisk now and then try again with the installation.