DVD drive overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The DVD playback on my laptop developed a peculiar problem. It starts OK,
but then the CPU usage goes up to 100% after a while, and so the playback
gets jittery. I suspect maybe the drive starts to overheat after spinning
the disk for a while. Has anyone had anything like this happen?

Andrew

alex goldman <hello@spamm.er> wrote:
: The DVD playback on my laptop developed a peculiar problem. It starts OK,
: but then the CPU usage goes up to 100% after a while, and so the playback
: gets jittery. I suspect maybe the drive starts to overheat after spinning
: the disk for a while. Has anyone had anything like this happen?

Instead, I'd guess the playback becomes jittery because the CPU is
pegged at 100%. Do a control-alt-delete to bring up task manager
(assuming you are using Windows) and see what processes are taking
most of the CPU time.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Andrew wrote:

> alex goldman <hello@spamm.er> wrote:
> : The DVD playback on my laptop developed a peculiar problem. It starts
> : OK, but then the CPU usage goes up to 100% after a while, and so the
> : playback gets jittery. I suspect maybe the drive starts to overheat
> : after spinning the disk for a while. Has anyone had anything like this
> : happen?
>
> Instead, I'd guess the playback becomes jittery because the CPU is
> pegged at 100%.

Isn't that what I said?

> Do a control-alt-delete to bring up task manager
> (assuming you are using Windows) and see what processes are taking
> most of the CPU time.

I use Linux, but the same thing happens under Windows, using a different
playback program. That's why I think it's a hardware issue. The task
manager reports the playback program eating most of the CPU time. But like
I mentioned, it doesn't happen right away, but after playing the DVD for 20
minutes or so. If I let it cool down, the process repeats itself.

Andrew

alex goldman <hello@spamm.er> wrote:
: I use Linux, but the same thing happens under Windows, using a different
: playback program. That's why I think it's a hardware issue. The task
: manager reports the playback program eating most of the CPU time. But like
: I mentioned, it doesn't happen right away, but after playing the DVD for 20
: minutes or so. If I let it cool down, the process repeats itself.

Obviously, you could try a different DVD drive. Does your kernal
support USB 2.0 (does your laptop have it)? If so, you could try an
external DVD player for example. That might be the easiest thing to
try.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Temperature is a factor with optical media & drivers:
o If a CDR will not read - often it will do so if cooler
---- stick the CDR in the fridge/freezer
---- often it will read for longer or where it did not before
o If a drive has problems it will start skipping
---- this will result in jittery visuals or data-transfer
---- try putting the media quickly in the freezer
---- if that helps the media - or drive - is overheating

There is frankly still a noticeable variation between drives,
or at least in there ability to read a particular piece of media.
Frequently I've found CDRs only readable in some drives,
and least on a later laptop but easily on an earlier laptop.

The CPU pegging 100% is noteworthy:
o Even a VIA C3 1Ghz will manage DVD playback <100%
o So I would check re s/w & Event Viewer re 100% CPU
---- task manager, event viewer, drivers etc
---- also check BIOS upgrades (may be something)

Some drives do run very hot - and cooling varies.
Media is also a variable factor - and some drivers have
lower tolerances than others, disturbingly so in my view.

Also...
o Verify no cooling vents are obscurred
---- airflow is never modelled on a persons lap :)
---- passive cooling *does* apply to the optical drive
o Despite the newsgroup name, they are notebooks
---- laptops have a max op ambient of typically 35oC
---- your lap is a replenished thermal store near 37oC
---- putting the thermal gradient into vs out of a laptop

Do not touch the optical drive laser to see how hot it is,
name due to fingerprint damage & it will also be very hot.

If it is heat related, cool the media down when it starts to do
it by the fast-freeze area in a freezer - will only take a few secs.
The thermal capacity of polycarbonate is small, so the benefit
will only last a very short time as the drive rapidly reheats it.

You can get freezer sprays for spot detecting thermal problems
on components - I'd be wary of using one on an optical drive.
More useful for finding where m/b temp sensors are located :)

Try to connect another optical drive to the machine.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans, free delivery

Alex Quant wrote:

> "alex goldman" <hello@spamm.er> wrote in message
>> The DVD playback on my laptop developed a peculiar problem. It starts OK,
>> but then the CPU usage goes up to 100% after a while, and so the playback
>> gets jittery. I suspect maybe the drive starts to overheat after spinning
>> the disk for a while. Has anyone had anything like this happen?
>
> I would check the DMA/PIO settings for the DVD drive. If the IDE
> controller is set to PIO (sometimes a default mode) the CPU will have to
> work extra hard to cope with the limited bandwidth.

Yes, DMA is on. I wonder if maybe the drive needs to be maintained: cleaned,
oiled.

alex goldman wrote:
> Alex Quant wrote:
>
>> "alex goldman" <hello@spamm.er> wrote in message
>>> The DVD playback on my laptop developed a peculiar problem. It
>>> starts OK, but then the CPU usage goes up to 100% after a while,
>>> and so the playback gets jittery. I suspect maybe the drive starts
>>> to overheat after spinning the disk for a while. Has anyone had
>>> anything like this happen?
>>
>> I would check the DMA/PIO settings for the DVD drive. If the IDE
>> controller is set to PIO (sometimes a default mode) the CPU will
>> have to work extra hard to cope with the limited bandwidth.
>
> Yes, DMA is on. I wonder if maybe the drive needs to be maintained:
> cleaned, oiled.

What DVD drive is it - model?

Don't oil it, but there are cleaning kits:
o Basically isopropyl alcohol & a CD with a brush embedded in it
o That cleans the lens, without damaging it
--
DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.