Not able to use all 4GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a ASRock N68-S with 4GB of DDR2-6400. It has 2 slots for ram but I can't use the one father away from the CPU cause when I stick the other ram stick in it beeps but will not post. Why is this?

Solution

Yes you can run with a such a config. Just make to match the memory modules in the correct slots in order to maintain dual channel operations.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
It will work if only 1 stick is installed in the other slot(currently have the other 2GB stick in it) and it was a dual channel kit so they are exactly the same. And they work fine together cause I tried them in another PC. Its just if I try to use dual channel or stick one in the other slot only by itself it also won't post.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would recommend that you update your BIOS if you are not running the most current version. I would also recommend that you verify that your BIOS have the memory settings set to AUTO.

If neither of these help. Double check to see if any foreign object may be in the memory slot. If so, remove it.

If all of this fails, you may simply have a defective memory slot.

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Have you tried removing both 2 RAM and putting only 1 RAM in the assumed defective one? If you hear RAM error beep at boot up then it is a defective for sure.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
well considering on how I can't boot with 2 ram sticks in I can't do memtest with both but yes I have done it in the slot that works with both sticks and they both pass.

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

If you have tried checking both memory by using 1 memory at a time then 1 in other, then it should confirm whether the slot is working fine or not. And if it works fine, then its not defective.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
no I tried both sticks at different times in the working slot but neither work in the other slot in dual channel(both sticks in) or single channel(only 1 stick in the bad slot).

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Yes that is what I have been trying to tell you all I already did that same thing with both sticks and different times but not both in at the same time. And whenever I stick ANY DDR2 stick by itself in the problem slot I get no POST.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Yea well I would have to buy a new mobo cause the warrenty ran out(of course:) but I am going to wait a while cause I have no money and I have no source of it either at all. plus my dad lost his job.

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

My advice for you to wait.

4GB RAM is enough for you now.

Get some job. And my wish for your dad too, so that he can get back some job. Never loose heart. :)

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
yea I know:) I tightend the timings and the RAM module is OC's cause my CPU is(they are locked in the BIOS) and that helped the speed and get rid of the lag I get sometimes in memory intensive stuff.

Akashdeep

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Carry on. Be happy.

Please close the thread if you have nothing more to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.