Looking for review and advice before assembly on new build

mpherge

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hi all,

I have been a silent observer here for a couple of months now, trying to absorb as much information as possible before i did my first build. I am fairly decent with computer hardware and have modified several other computers, however this will be my first complete new build. I have picked out most of my components and purchased them within the last week (still waiting on the parts). I was just looking for any input you could give or last minute advice before i assemble.

Approximate Purchase Date: Already purchased most parts (see below for parts i haven't purchased)

Budget Range: spent about $1200 already. budget is flexible within reason.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Light gaming/ Autocad & possibly Revit/ connect to hdtv in living room/Use as a home "server" ( i have 3 other computers in the house that i will be networking)

Parts Not Required: Monitor and will probably keep my existing Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse i have. (i'm use to it & its never failed me)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: usually newegg, open to other sites if cheaper. Must be reputable sites.

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel for proccessor/nvidia for graphicsand open on the rest.

Overclocking: Maybe later. Like having the option.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe later, if i need it.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 monitor and 42" HDTV on highest resolution available.

Additional Comments:

This is what i have purchased already:

CPU: i7 950
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit
HSF: Will probably use stock heat sink and fan for a first couple months. I will definitely be transitioning to liquid cooling within 3 months.
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II (For OS and main programs only)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W
GPU: Palit NE5X460EFHD02 GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
DVD: Still Need to purchase. Want a Blue Ray reader with DVD & CD write.
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942
Thermal Compound: Open to advice.

Also i have already purchased these parts for liquid cooling. I still need advice on a bay reservoir, fittings/ tubing/ and radiator
Water Block: EK-Supreme HF
Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B

Thanks for any input you can give me.

sandybridge

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
MX-2 is a non-conductive TIM. I've been using it for years no problems. You can apply it to anything like cpu cooler, chipset heatsinks, mosfet heatsinks, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020

I think you're all set on the server side, but you'll be wise to buy/use a unmanaged gigabit switch/hub & CAT6 cables to wire your server to other devices like so:

[modem]-[router]-[switch]-[devices]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010066%20600052097%20600015752&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010070%20600026303&IsNodeId=1&name=6

That way, you take full advantage of your mobo's gigabit LAN. You should set the NIC properties to disable Flow Control & Speed Duplex to 1Gbps. You'll need to measure the length between each device & the switch to determine which cables to buy. The cable between router & switch can be CAT5 cuz DSL/cable modems are still below 10Mbps unless you have fiber optics. On your router, you can use default settings or disable MAC filtering and set max device/addresses to 255 & turn on DHCP. This way, you can plug in a new device and it will just work/connect. You won't have to be home for other people to use the network.