PSU Upgrade/Brand Switch Question

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
First, if you can see about my current problem (possibly PSU) see this link Is it my power supply again?

Anyways, I currently have an OCZ StealthXStream II 700w PSU. This is the 3rd PSU from OCZ and the 3rd time I *might* have to do an exchange. I'm thinking of going with another brand due to the problems.

What would you recommend for my system?
ASRock 870 Extreme3
AMD Phoenom II X4 955
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM

ASUS DVD Burner
2 Hard Drives (not sure of model, but they are identical 5400 RPM) Western Digital
1 DVD Burner

EDIT:
Looking for something modular and as cheap as I can but want quality as well.

Still dead in the water? DId you check the outlet or any power strips? Overcurrent could a have tripped something..

It would def help to know what GPU you're using..

Uther39

Distinguished
3 PSU Fried hey ? there has to be a common problem here, such as a bad pc build, maybe some kind of short to earth, or even your ring main is providing a very dirty current (Undulating, over volting, under volting) do the lights in your house often dim and then go bright again ?

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
We've had some bad storms past week or so. So the lights did flicker during that time.

NOt sure if it's a bad PC Build, unless 3 systems were all bad builds. Build 1 (oldest system) was the first one. 2-3 months later, the PSU when into Build 2.

Build 2: PSU died after about a year of use

Build 3 (current) PSU died after 2-3 months use.

Last time I asked about my PSU, what you said about dirty current came up there as well, so that may be the cause. Lights don't normally dim/brighten up frequently, usually doing bad heavy rainstorms when the electric sometimes goes out for not even a full second

EDIT:
Please don't turn this thread into trying to solve my PSU problem, please post those into my other post (link in my first post).

EDIT2:
Going to post this same post in the other thread, as it could prove realvent.

Assuming you've ruled out a short or other electrical problem (you did use standoffs, right?), there's a 550W modular Antec Basiq that is probably the cheapest I'd get. Check the prices on the Antec Truepower New; I've seen some good deals on those lately, and they are excellent quality.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
yes, did use standoffs. The current PC is the only one I put together, the other two I had someone else put together or move cases for me.

I'm looking for somethign very reliable, that's modular, and cheap, that can handle my system with no hiccups. If I upgrade the system I will upgrade the PSU if needed.

Maybe I shoudl ask this....
How many watts should I look for and which brands should I look for?

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks, I was wondering where I read it, I was checking all the other threads I had read over the past couple of days...and turns out it's in my own thread lol

EDIT:
Here's what I found
Linky

Some things I don't know. Single Rail vs 2 or more
I know it may post a problem.

I'm looking at the Antec BP550 Plus 550w Continious Flow, it's the cheapest (not counting MIR). It's 2 12v rails. Will it be good for my video card, 2 HDDs and Optical along with the Mobo/CPu?

I think the Cosair on that list seems to be drawing me in, about $40 more, and I won't have to upgrade later

The Antec is a great budget unit and has gotten good reviews it is plenty for your system. Although sticker says dual rail it can be a split single rail they are referring to. The Corsair is good but for the price I would look at the Seasonic M12II 620 watt.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I did make a mistake, the Antec is actually 3 12v Rails.
The Seasonic one you recommend is 2 12v
and the Corsair is Single.

Where can I find out what that means or how it would affect the system? I did some light reading somewhere, but can't remember where saying that it can pose a problem by not giving enough power to GPU.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Went to another forum and wanted to see their opinions too, and for brand names, they had the same except for the last one on my list. This is the order I'm considering them, still haven't fully decided on which yet. Which would get me best bang for my buck?

Corsair is at the top of my list, due to warranty.
XFX is at the top as on other website, it seems to be very highly recommended (plus their GPU I have has done well)
SeaSonic due to brand Quailty and how both site (here & there) recommend
Antec next to last due to only 100w headroom from my calculations on needed watts (466w)
KINGWIN is at the bottom, since you all didn't talk about that brand, and also due to wattage.

1st - 7 year warranty CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W

2nd - 5 year XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W

2nd - 5 year SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

4th - 5 year Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W

5th - 3 year KINGWIN Lazer Gold Series LZG-550 550W

What are y'all thoughts on the above and which would you highly recommend?