Solved

Which is better?

Athlon II X3 or Phenom II X2 Black Edition. Im thinking the Athlon might be a better deal since it has 3 cores and is ten bucks less than the phenom which only has 2. Thoughts?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which better
  1. Tohst said:
    Athlon II X3 or Phenom II X2 Black Edition. Im thinking the Athlon might be a better deal since it has 3 cores and is ten bucks less than the phenom which only has 2. Thoughts?

I vote for Phenom X2, we know that the Phenom X2 just has 2 cores. But if you can unlock it, you will get another better, even compared with the Athlon X4 - Phenom X2 and X3 Phenom series (the X4 and X6 doesn't have unlocked mode) can be unlocked if you're lucky and have a good HSF such as Zalman or Thermaltake. The Phenom X2 555 BE could be unlocked into Phenom X4 B50 and it has 4 cores. Same as the X2, the Phenom X3 will be transformed into Phenom X4 if unlocked.
  2. didhot123 said:
    But if you can unlock it, ...
  3. Best answer
    Unlocking is not a sure thing. If you need more than two cores, buy more than two cores. Buy what you NEED; anything else you get is just a bonus. If you NEED 3+ cores and an unlock on a X2 fails, you've wasted your money.
    Some Athlon X3s can unlock a 4th core also.
  4. I have the Phenom X2 and could not unlock it :/ So by themselves, without unlocking, which would you say is better? Thanks for your responses guys
  5. Tohst said:
    I have the Phenom X2 and could not unlock it :/ So by themselves, without unlocking, which would you say is better? Thanks for your responses guys

I once had my friend unlock his.After that he couldnt even post anymore.There unfortunately no reset cmos option on that board.After a few tries of switching it on.We finally came to post after that he never dared to unlock.
  6. Oops. That's what I meant.
    didhot123 said:
    But if you can unlock it, ...

There's a reason that AMD locked two cores.
  7. So by themselves, no unlock, which is the better CPU?
  8. Athlon II X3 i want .
  9. Black Edition cpu's are known for there OC capability's.
    If you do not use much multicore software i would still stick on the black version of the lot.
    And however not all cpu's can be unlocked, if it can be it would be a huge plus :)
  10. Best answer selected by Tohst.
  11. Thanks. Hopefully your choice will work out well, and maybe yield a bonus.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Phenom