PCI 32bits NIC Teaming Vs Dual Port PCI-X NIC Running in 32bits

Tags:
  • NICs
  • NIC
  • PCI
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 5, 2011 6:38:48 AM

Hello there, this might be a silly question or there is an existing Q&A in the forum. But I wanna find out fast because I'm planing a low cost server setiup soon. So i just create this question in this forum. Has anyone tested this, I know PCI 32bits max bandwidth about 132MB/s. While PCI-X around 800MB/s - 1000MB/s. PCIE is the fastest but since my desktop MOBO only got one PCIE which used by my nVidia and there is no PCI-X slot.

Since most of dual port NIC in PCI-X layout. I wonder that if Dual port intel pro/1000 MT Server NIC running in PCI 32bits compare to double single port intel pro/1000 mt Desktop NIC TEAMING running same 32bits( Since I got alot of PCI slots). Which on will be best for the performance in this case? or Explain how they works.Thank you

From

Paul . A . Private

More about : pci 32bits nic teaming dual port pci nic running 32bits

May 5, 2011 5:07:46 PM

The entire PCI bus share the 132MB/s bandwith. So as a single Gb NIC can hit a theoretical 120MB/s then there will be very little differance going from 1 to 2 cards at all. The server card may well benifit from having some kind of TCP/IP processing to move the load from your CPU but that would be it.

If you need to get more than 1Gb/s from your server get a PCI-e Dual port NIC and a cheap PCI graphics card as servers don't need any kind of graphics processing.
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:24:12 AM

hollett said:
The entire PCI bus share the 132MB/s bandwith. So as a single Gb NIC can hit a theoretical 120MB/s then there will be very little differance going from 1 to 2 cards at all. The server card may well benifit from having some kind of TCP/IP processing to move the load from your CPU but that would be it.

If you need to get more than 1Gb/s from your server get a PCI-e Dual port NIC and a cheap PCI graphics card as servers don't need any kind of graphics processing.

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I thought each individual PCI max bandwidth 132MB/s, so this is wrong. how a about PCI-E and PCI-X are they same sharing too? But at least I know PCIE is the shot for me. thank you once again.
m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2011 7:54:52 AM

but I wonder Which PCI-E Best Bet for money, PCI-E 1x or PCI-E 4X? I know faster is better. Since my network running on 1gbp networking. I know that PCI-E 1X about 250mb/s bandwith while PCI-E 4X about 1gb/s. 1gbs network = 120mb/s. So is the PCI-E 1X enough to pump data for dual port NIC? So each port might get about 125mb/s? Thank You.
m
l
May 6, 2011 9:01:58 AM

In PCI-x the first 32bit PCI is just PCI and shares the same 132MB/s as the rest of the PCI Bus (Note some server/workstation boards do have dual independant PCI Bus) while the extra 32 bits of the PCI-x is a seperate bus running at 66 or 133Mhz (PCI is 33Mhz).

As for PCI-e, each lane is a point to point link and completly independant of the other ports on the system.

As for the best buy a dual port PCI-e x1 will have, as you have already mentioned, enough bandwidth to cover both ports so unless you get extra features or better drives from the PCI-e x4, then go for the cheaper PCI-e x1
m
l
May 6, 2011 11:17:41 AM

Thanks, I know what to do now. :bounce: 
m
l